Trailer is too low, needs to be lifted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DC1

I have a new 24 foot Lance trailer still covered under warranty and when I was in for warranty work I shared that I can?t get the trailer into or out of my level driveway without hitting the hitch or weight distribution bars of the ground and even when entering any driveway with a small approach I bottom out hitting the bars on the ground. The trailer is made to ride low to the ground for best towing and economy. But this is a huge problem and must be corrected. The only thing they say that can be done is to raise the trailer three inches and that will cost me $900.00. This is an engineering flaw in my book and don?t see why I should have to pay for this and can?t believe there aren?t thousands of others complaining about this. They say it is a four hour job. Anyone else have this problem and how did they solve it and anyone agree with me I shouldn?t have to pay for their faulty design. BTW, air bags don?t help as if I lift the front a few inches the back drops a few inches and that will cause drag and bottom out on the rear brackets. Help!!!!!

Was it that hieght when you bought it? If so. They are going to take the attitude that you knew what you were buying so too bad so sad. Sorry . You should have bought a different trailer. Or . Pay the money to get it to the hieght you want.

Look check threads here and online for axle flipping threads and videos. That may be your best solution for your problem..
I would take your rig elsewhere for the service not an RV dealer.

I would also think about this voiding most of your warranty.

This is an engineering flaw in my book and don?t see why I should have to pay for this and can?t believe there aren?t thousands of others complaining about this.
Maybe the "engineering flaw" is in your driveway rather than the RV?  In any case, the ride height was known and obvious when you bought it. As you say, a lower height helps towing stability and fuel economy, so it serves a worthwhile purpose. Further, it is constrained by the height of the tow vehicle & hitch. Your dragging problem may be as much due to the tow vehicle height as the trailer.

There are several "Solutions" Some folks will "Flip" an axle to get more height. The problem here is as you commented it was made to be low to the ground for a reason.

I put slightly larger tires on my Trailers.. AFTER CONFIRMING THERE WAS ROOM.  2" larger diamater.

Now this is a 2 part solution.

Skid wheels on the rear of the trailer and the air bags. The Skid wheels protect the rear end while the air bags protect the bars.

Your huge problem can only be solved by you.
Flip the axles, makes some ramps for the approach or buy a different trailer.
Stability and fuel economy would be way more favorable to me than the driveway issue.
My guess is this is why you bought the trailer to begin with. Now you find you have a clearance issue and somehow magically its Lance's fault.
Cowboy up pard.

I'm one of those that are waiting on a pic of the rig hooked up. OP stated his driveway is level. Something just doesn't sound right to me. Maybe pulling the trailer with an Explorer with an aftermarket hitch. Those things look like they are about 6" from the ground. It would also be nice to have the tow vehicle information along with the pic of the rig.

Even though the drve itself is level, it doesn't take much height difference between roadway & driveway to make a WD hitch drag. Especially if a drop-hitch is needed to get the ball coupler down to a lower trailer. Flipping the trailer axle and/or larger tires can help that.  If a drop hitch is NOT in use, neither of those are going to change the height at the hitch.

Sorry YOU did not do YOUR homework before buying.  People love the low step in, but forget the trade offs until they come and bite them in the butt.  There are literally hundreds of posts on raising a trailer.  Not sure if Lance uses spring or torque flex type axles.  If you have a spring suspension its pretty easy to raise the trailer.  Its yours, Lance did not made a wrong trailer.  They build a product,  its up to the buyer to determine if it will work or not.  Same for the floor plan its up to YOU to determine if ita what you want.
Look under the trailer.  If you have spring suspension, then either DIY for maybe a hundred dollars or pay the dealer the 900 dollars to "flip" the axles.  Flipping is not really what happens.  In fact to do it, the axles must come off the trailer, new spring perches welded on and the axles reinstalled under the spring packs instead of on top.  This raises the trailer 3 to 6 inches.  Its not hard to do, and quite commonly done.

If you choose “not” to raise the trailer, for whatever your reasoning....consider a roller, rather than the “dolly” type wheels. The full width roller, will make-up for imperfections on the grade surface.....be it a hole the the little wheel can fall into or a high spot, that the wheel will miss!
    Every camper we’ve had since’93, has had the roller, though not needed....as all but one were raised!
        See photo below.

https://imgur.com/hwZ7rHC

Wife and i looked at Lance. Some nice trailers but yes they all sit low.  Wouldn't work for our driveway or the locations we like to camp.  If i recall they have torsion axles, makes lifting it a bit more complicated.  If not and you have springs do the oversling, its easy, cheap and works well.

Back
Top Bottom