Transfer Switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dragotooth

Hi I purchased a 2006 Wilderness Advantage Fifth Wheel in January. It went straight into storage until I sold my home. I just put it into an Rv park. Nothing workd unless I hook up to my portable charger. I know the Transfer Switch is bad. Was told so when I bought it. But I was under the impression it only affected the power coming from the generator. Is it stopping the shore power as well? When I disconnect my charger nothing works so I was going to just replace the batteries. But also thought that while hooked up to shore power I didn't really need the batteries. Thanks. I know I didn't word this all correctly just confused...

It depends on how the switch failed, or what position it is stuck in.  If you pull the cover off you may be able to see if the contacts are touching, or if they are just stuck in an open position. Be sure that all power is disconnected before you take the cover off.

I take it the trailer has a built-in generator? Cause typically trailers don't have an auto transfer switches and you just plug the shore power cord into a generator outlet to use generator power.  It's possible the person who told you the transfer switch was bad may not have accurate information, or simply used an improper term for the real problem.  I'm pretty sure a Wilderness Advantage didn't come from the factory with a transfer switch, so its probably an add-on if there is one.

In any case, if there is an auto transfer switch (ATS) and it has failed, it may well prevent shore power from reaching the RV load center. And without 120v power, the trailer's own converter/charger cannot provide 12c power or charge batteries.  The ATS shifts the external power source between genset and shore cord, so it it is broken it may not be making contact for either source,  or maybe for genset only. Have you tried using the generator?

Yes it has an onboard generator. Propane linked. I got inside the basement and opened up the panel to look at the connections and one of them is fried on the ATS. So yeah its bad. So if what you are saying is true then I definitely need to replace the ATS. I would post a pic but not sure how to do that here. Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. And information.

There are two kinds of Switch and a few kinds of failure

One switch (My INtelletec) if nothing is powered then SHORE power is connected.  IF it fails, odds are that will be the mode of failure (But odds are odds)

I've seen switches where the "Resting" (no power) state is "Disconnected" and when power is applied one or another set of Contactors (Big Relays or Solenoids) cut in.  If the electrronics board fails these will not pass power at all.

Some other failure modes involve welded contaccts. Those can fail on GEN or on SHORE or .. OFF.

Not that hard to replace 'em once you find 'em.

RV transfer switches are either 30A or 50A and not hard to replace (just lots of wire to move).  Not terribly expensive either, and readily available on Amazon, Ebay, and discount RV parts stores.

Depending on what burned out, you may be able to swap wires (or even relays) around temporarily to get power flowing. Or simply bypass the ATS and wire the incoming shore cord direct to the output wires that go to the load center (breaker box).

Are you sure the ATS itself is damaged? Sometimes a wire works loose and the burned area is just a melted wire that can be trimmed back and reconnected.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom