Buying first Motorhome, used

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rbadger28

Looking for advice from the veterans. Recently sold my travel trailer in hopes to purchase a motorhome. Mostly looking at class A units, although wife likes class c.

Considering a newer (2012) Thor Windsport that is being sold by a rental company with about 65k miles on it. I didn't start out liking the idea of a formal rental but i guess there is something to be said about it being serviced when it should be etc.

The other option is a much older, but cheaper, Fleetwood Storm (2001) with 50k miles. It is from a local dealer who either got it from auction or trade in and the plus side to this is a warranty being included for a couple of years to cover everything and a savings of about $15k over newer model.

Curious about people's thoughts on buying older vs. newer, and maybe these models specifically if any experience out there.

Thanks in advance...

Well I would stay away from the storm as it is 17 years old and will probably be a money pit. I also have not had very good luck with any Thor I've owned. What is your budget?? Did you check NADA and RVTrader to see what those models are going for. Also what chassis they on. If they are on the Workhorse then some parts for them are getting hard to get.

We just sold our 2000 Class C Fourwinds Chateau for $10,000. I believe it has years of life left in it if it keeps getting love but based on your 2 choices I'd go with the Windsport simply for the updated look. One other thought. My guess is your budget is between $20,000 and $30,000. Don't limit yourself to those two choices. Take your time.

My suggestion is to look for something that was a bit more up market when built.  Higher initial build quality tends to age better, full body paint outlasts vinyl graphics, fiberglass or aluminum roofs outlast TPO or EPDM rubber roofs, fiberglass or other higher end plumbing fixtures tend out outlast plastic ones (plastic gets brittle when it ages), screwed together solid wood cabinets outlast stapled together particle board, ....

Back
Top Bottom