Rockwood Mini Lite vs. Keystone Passport vs. Grand Designs Imagine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pip

In our camper quest, we've had a few requirements.  I have young kids, so I want something easy to set up on my own while mom and the kids are stretching their legs far away from where I'm getting backed in and unhooked, and towable with a 1/2 ton truck.  I want something that will be comfortable as they grow.  I want something that has a little floor space for those rainy days where we can't spend as much time outside. And I want something that has an outdoor kitchen, and plenty of storage. 

Our search has led us to the Rockwood Mini Lite 2509S, Keystone Passport Grand Touring 2400BH, and Grand Design Imagine 2400BH.  The Keystone and Grand Design are almost identical floor plans with a couple minor differences.  The Rockwood has a murphy bed which is appealing for floor space, but most TTs that have it are much smaller.  Weights are pretty similar and give me an adequate margin for both payload, and GVWR, as are prices, the GD might be a couple thousand more but we haven't gotten into serious price negotiations yet. 

I've been around popups most of my life, and go quite often with my in laws in their larger travel trailer.  I know the quality leaves much to be desired on all of them, and I know I'll have to make some repairs along the way.  I have friends and family that have bought from both dealers we're working with and they're well established (both 50+ years, locally owned) and reputable.  I find it difficult to get good info on the different brands because it's either one of two things: 1) "Brand X is the worst ever and I'm never buying from them again. or 2) The owner group pages that rarely have strong criticism but when they do, they're usually 1 time posters with little follow up for various reasons. 

We plan on taking 10-12 long weekend trips a year with a longer road trip of a week or more thrown in too.  All things being equal, is there one brand of the three that stands above the rest?  If any of you have one of the above models, or one similar I would love to hear your experiences.  Thanks in advance!

I don't own one, but I did lots of research as well a couple years back.  I found that many liked their Rockwood mini lights, I did too, I liked the interior ceiling height (I'm a tall guy).  I didn't like how high they rode, their were like 4 stairs to climb into it.  The Murphy bed as it sounds great, finally my wife and I concluded we didn't want to assemble every night and a rear bed was a better option (albeit) smaller for sure.  I settled for a Puma trailer, very happy with it.

I started with a 19 foot Rockwood Mini Lite.  It was a nicely equipped little camper but was cramped with no slide.  It had the Murphy bed, which was as comfortable as any camper bed but was annoying to deal with.  Its build quality was comparable to my current KZ Spree, with the typical cheap built dinette benches and the fake wood trim that peels and bulges.  I hear the Grand Design units are generally better built and have better fit/finish.  I have been looking hard at their 350M and 351M toy hauler.

I'm only speaking from my own experience, but it was major for me. Try to find something with a chair or sofa. Those dining room table seats get real hard real fast.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom