my wife uses AC too much.. could I fool her?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rookieRV

Hot flashes, I guess  ::) she always wants it on continuously, esp at night. ???
What if I left the existing control in, remove its wiring to the on/off compressor wiring (in effect, when she rushes up to turn it down to 33  :eek:, it would only turn on the fan)
Then add a secondary, hidden thermostat control... wired parallel w/ first thermostat to the fan control (so if /when it does kick the AC compressor on, it also kicks the fan on, just like ?normal? use), but this second (dummy/hidden) one would have exclusive control of actuating the compressor.

The result? She turns the exposed control down, only the fan kicks on (she couldn?t tell the difference), she goes to bed thinking ?battle won?. Then the compressor only actually kicks on if it reaches above 72 deg (you know, what us normal people live in ;) ), with the certainty of the fan being on (absolutely needed when the compressor is on) as well.

While you?re going to all that effort, don?t forget to remove the king bed and replace with twins

Sun2Retire said:
While you?re going to all that effort, don?t forget to remove the king bed and replace with twins
r

Lol,twin beds.
Who is paying the electric bill?  Does she have a fan blowing on her at night? 

Lying to your wife?  You might wind uP sleeping in a tent,

;D LOL, as a matter of fact, she does also run a fan directly in her face, in addition to the AC!
She?s psychologically addicted to ?white noise? to sleep by at night, that?s one reason that I?m not worried abt. her hearing any difference between the AC fan only, and the compressor running w/ it!

rookieRV said:
Hot flashes, I guess  ::) she always wants it on continuously, esp at night. ???
What if I left the existing control in, remove its wiring to the on/off compressor wiring (in effect, when she rushes up to turn it down to 33  :eek:, it would only turn on the fan)
Then add a secondary, hidden thermostat control... wired parallel w/ first thermostat to the fan control (so if /when it does kick the AC compressor on, it also kicks the fan on, just like ?normal? use), but this second (dummy/hidden) one would have exclusive control of actuating the compressor.

The result? She turns the exposed control down, only the fan kicks on (she couldn?t tell the difference), she goes to bed thinking ?battle won?. Then the compressor only actually kicks on if it reaches above 72 deg (you know, what us normal people live in ;) ), with the certainty of the fan being on (absolutely needed when the compressor is on) as well.

Buy a sweater!

Molaker said:
You may do what you will, but trying to deceive your wife seldom ends well. :)

I agree with Molaker.. he has a very strong point.

There was a study done in an office.. Before the technicians went in a lot of people were complaining about the temperature.  One was too hot, One too cold Nobody "Just right"

So they installed a thermostat in every compartment...  And thus the complaints ended.

All they did was screw it to the wall. No wires, Just the T-Stat. not connected.

I need cool air at night or I can't sleep. We have the aircon at 67 at night. If we left doors open it would be cooler but OH doesn't like the light.

I can assure you if she is truly hot and having night sweats and you have air at 72 she will notice.

Perhaps if she has less sleep she will be in a better mood?? I think not....

Maybe she should see Doc about HRT if it's really bad. I thi k they have some new gels out too.

I think a bit more sympathy may be in order....  I can assure you it's not a pleasant experience. 

John From Detroit said:
So they installed a thermostat in every compartment...  And thus the complaints ended.
All they did was screw it to the wall. No wires, Just the T-Stat. not connected.

Many years ago I flew a corporate airplane that had a dummy thermostat in the passenger cabin - never a single complaint!  ;)

yeah, you're really gonna be grasping for words when she either
a) calls a repair man while you're out, who exposes your handiwork.
or
b) forces you to call that repair man.

My bet is she will know it's not cooling.

invest in more sweaters and blankets is my suggestion. ;)

I have the same problem. The solution is

ELECTRIC MATTRESS PAD with dual controls.
When I get cold I turn it on. We are both happy.

Sort of insensitive to not make the best thing that happened to you most comfortable during her MEDICAL condition.

Remember you chose her

Sure that will work. IF her hot flashes are imaginary, and, you wish to suffer the consequences when she discovers what you did. Be sure to keep us updated. There are voice to text programs you can use during your recovery.
RichH

rookieRV said:

you are treading on very thin ice here my friend.. !!

I feel your pain.. I used to wake up in the morning with frost on my lips.. !

however, I am guilty of this very thing, fortunately my wife is non technical and leaves all that "stuff" to me.

it can be done with a good residential thermostat, i'm not sure about a MH type. the better ones with digital displays have programmable offsets for calibration purposes, i set the temperature calibration offset to several degrees above what it should be, so the net effect is the ambient temperature is warmer than the displayed figure. if she ever found out I'm sure she would attempt to cut off my "package".. LOL

I suggest you invest in warmer clothing.. it will work out better for you in the long run..

Really, set the a/c fan to run continuously, then adjust the temp a degree at a time. We need that air moving.  Another benefit is it muffles the sound of compressor kicking on and off which interupts sleep.

RookieRV, do you have a death wish?  Like most older women I've had hot flashes.  They are not fun and, believe me, she WILL notice your deception!!  When we were first married I was always cold and was often told to put on a sweater.  Fifty+ years later I'm the warm one and Jerry often has on a flannel shirt when I'm in shorts.  Tolerance is a good word to use here and I strongly recommend meeting her half way on this one.  Do you remember the "Never Fool Mother Nature" ad a few years back?  Never Try to Fool Your Wife!

ArdraF

I agree with Ardra.  Hot flashes are nothing to joke about and night sweats are not much fun either!  Anything you might be able to do to make her more comfortable would be nice.  If you try to deceive her, she WILL notice, believe me!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom