Leash Training

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JuneD

Morning All,

My Shi Tzu Bella (4 yrs old) and my rescue Cody (9 yrs old) are not leash trained at all. Every time I pick up the leash, Bella runs for the bedroom and under the bed she goes. Cody digs in his feet and refuses to move. Bella starts to shake which makes me feel terrible. I want them to be leash trained so I can take them on walks before my next RVing trip.  Any suggestions??

June

I grew up on a farm that raised Greyhounds and Border Collies and Wolfhounds and Coon hounds.  My Grand father was a very good trainer.  He always demanded 4 things from any of the dogs.  No messing in the indoor kennel, since he was older the dogs needed to be able to jump to a 3rd level kennel.  No barking.  And they all needed to be able to lead on a lead at heel position.  It normally only took him one or two lessons with a chain choke collar.

I can hear all the people who have never put in the time to make their animals a good companion vs a lap dog with little or no manners now.

His method of using the collar was very simple.  First he put it on correctly and then used a light cotton string for a lead.  He never tightened the collar up beyond just lifting sharply and making it jingle he would then step off and walk if the dog tried to go forward or would not move he would stop and gently tug and make the collar jingle again.  Then he would try again. it never took more than one or two 5-10 minute lessons for the dogs to get the message and walk calmly beside him on the left side.  When he stopped he taught them to sit with a vertical tug and jingle and a push down on their rumps with his hand.

I have 3 of my 4 brother who make serious money selling well obedience trained dogs, English Mastiffs, Golden Retrievers, Caucasian Ovcharkas.  All are big breeds and powerful animals and they train them the same way they were taught by our Grand Father.

Tom Hoffman said:
His method of using the collar was very simple.  First he put it on correctly and then used a light cotton string for a lead. 

Yes there is a right and a wrong way to put on a choke collar. Looking at the front of the dog, make the letter "P" out of the collar. Then slip it over his/her head. Then standing next to the dog on it's right side, connect the leash. When you pull up on the leash, the collar will tighten then when you let the leash go slack, the collar will automatically loosen. If you put it on wrong, it will not loosen freely.

Morning All,

My Shi Tzu Bella (4 yrs old) and my rescue Cody (9 yrs old) are not leash trained at all. Every time I pick up the leash, Bella runs for the bedroom and under the bed she goes. Cody digs in his feet and refuses to move. Bella starts to shake which makes me feel terrible. I want them to be leash trained so I can take them on walks before my next RVing trip. Any suggestions??

June
Use nothing longer than a 6’ leash and make them go where you want to go And keep them on your left side. Use the command ”heel”. In other words, make sure you walk the dog. Don’t let the dog walk you. If you have never taken an obedience class, you should take one with your dog. Be patient, make it fun. It takes time, and you have to be persistent. I have trained for years, with different dogs and they all have a different personality. Your dogs are older and now have bad habits which need to be broken, so it will take more time than with a new puppy. Good luck and take a class.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom