Generator Choke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kismoore

My generator starts fine but I have to go outside and hold the choke open to get it to start. The button inside works and has adequate power. When I try to start it inside it revs, sputters, and dies.
So I go outside and hold the choke open while starting. It?s inconvenient, especially barefoot when it?s 1000 degrees on the ground.
The choke stays open the entire time it?s running. Is that normal or is it using more fuel than necessary?

In general, the choke is only needed when the engine is cold. As the engine warms, the choke gradually opens and stays open while running. if the ambient  temp is (as you said it ) 1000 degrees, then less choke is usually needed, and the choke valve/butterfly is not closed as tightly as if cold outside. You may have a bit of "gunk" on the unit, but I would have someone who knows the unit take a look. It MAY be as simple as cleaning the assembly or a weakened spring.
I used to play the part of a mechanic in my misspent youth and have seem many owner "repairs" that required a large bill from us in the end (that could have been avoided), so - Please do no harm!
Best of luck
Ike
Soon to be full timer
But not soon enough <sigh>

onan emerald genset 3 6500
i know a bit about generators but its all in a language only my mind can understand :) self taught and i do my own maintenance without too much trouble. No gunk, cleaned the carb a few months ago. Changed the filter at the same time, didnt need it, just did it for fun...barefoot. Changed out a faulty sparkplug a few weeks ago.

Im thinking a little spring in there (choke valve/butterfly)? I dont feel any pressure when i push the choke over. I seem to remember my last generator having a slight pressure there.

Im going to find someone to sit inside and try starting it so i can watch it outside and see if the choke is moving when its started from inside.. i will let you know in awhile.

Carb adjustment from the sound of it.

My Genny would start from eithe button but black smoke nad rough for like 30-45 seconds.

Mechanic changed the oil...  Said chock was sticking... Lots faster setteling down now.

Never was a problem. Just better now.

Already adjusted the carb etc.
For reference, I had someone sit inside and try starting it so I could sit outside and watch the choke lever. It wiggleda tiny bit but wouldn?t move to the left and stay put so the gene could stay running. Of course, if I held it for a few seconds, it gained its momentum and stayed running just fine.

might want to try a little carb cleaner o the linkage and choke butterfly.  I had a honda generator doing the same thing and it was sticking from crud on the shaft of the butterfly.

Could be the choke pull off. You can test it with a piece of vacuum hose and sucking on the hose.

Back
Top Bottom