Are Linear piston refrigerators really that much energy savings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Malibu39

What got me going on this topic is the discovery of linear piston compressors that apparently use 40% less energy than typical residential refers, like the LG model line. Is anyone familiar with this?  If not, I?m looking for any suggestion for a good replacement for my Norcold 1201 that would work.

I heard the samsung RF18HEFENBSG is a good replacement, but is a standard compressor. But if there is a chance of a unit out there that uses 40% less energy, I want to go that route. 

I never heard of these refrigerators before, but after looking at the pictures:
(1)  the one they introduced in Milan looks like it's gigantic (like a subzero) and wouldn't fit in a RV and
(2) the interior of a smaller one doesn't look very usable; at least I wouldn't like it.

If you have a partner I suggest shopping for this together!  Dimensions might be problematic in getting it to fit in the same space as your old Norcold.  Also, from what I've read here on the RV Forum the newer residential refrigerators are much more energy efficient for RVers than previously.

ArdraF

Had to know more so went to an appliance store. Turns out, the LG Linear compressors use about 40% less than other similar sized refers. The sales guy was actually surprised when he looked it up.

But I found the LG LFC24770, which checks all the boxes. Its not cabinet depth tho, but in my floor plan, I have room. Dimensions are 33? width, 29? depth without doors, 35 1/2? total depth, and 69? height.

https://www.lg.com/us/refrigerators/lg-LFC24770ST-french-3-door-refrigerator

I am a bit surprised these are not more popular among the RV crowd.

Malibu39 said:
What got me going on this topic is the discovery of linear piston compressors that apparently use 40% less energy than typical residential refers, like the LG model line. Is anyone familiar with this?  If not, I?m looking for any suggestion for a good replacement for my Norcold 1201 that would work.

I heard the samsung RF18HEFENBSG is a good replacement, but is a standard compressor. But if there is a chance of a unit out there that uses 40% less energy, I want to go that route.

the early models had a reliability issue with the internal valves, otherwise it's a novel approach and is in fact more efficient than
a reciprocating compressor.

there are numerous reports online of compressor issues even a class action..

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/816719-lg-class-action-says-compressor-defect-causes-refrigerator-failure/

hopefully they have resolved this.

Back
Top Bottom