Famous movie spots around the US

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Search on Google for "movies made in Montana"  and you will find lots of them and where they were actually shot.  Lots of great places to visit.
I admit I am biased as I grew up there  and wish I could live there but a little lung problem keeps me away.  :(

After i saw pulp fiction i wanted to go visit that restrauant where the robbery occurred but it has been torn down... :(

It would be cool if they still had the old rio bravo set active, im a big JW fan...

Of course I'm John from Detroit.. and Detroit has been the setting of quite a few movies.  I mean Axel Foley (Beverly Hills Cop 1 and 2) was a DETROIT police officer and the opening scenes involved genuine Detroit Streets and a DDOT (Detroit Department of Transportation) BUS.  Several other movies based in Detroit and books they were based upon as well.

Ate at Mystic Pizza in Mystic CT. Was some of the best pizza we've ever had. They told us that an exact replica of the restaurant was built so they could film the movie and not disrupt the restaurant business.

A portion of Edward Scissorhands was filmed where we live in Lakeland FL. There's a shot of the arches at Southgate Shopping Center in Lakeland.

I have been to the Popeye set in Malta, the Exorcist stairs in DC, the MASH set in Malibu, the lodge at Mt Hood, ate at Mystic Pizza", and was an extra in the movie Gardens of Stone.

signcut said:
Smithville, TX, where they filmed parts of Hope Floats; maybe not big time, but what a great little town, and so friendly to boot. Came thisclose to buying a house there...

Shhhhhhh!  Next thing we know Smithville will be another Autism, er, Austin.

Dances With Wolves in South Dakota's Black Hills.  Never saw the movie but rode my motorcycle all over the Black Hills.  :~)

Arch Hoagland said:
"The Shining" was filmed in various places one of which was  the Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood, Oregon which we went to years ago. 

Some of the scenes were based on the interior of the Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite where we go each year to eat and celebrate my birthday. 
Room 217 where all the paranormal stuff happened in The Shining was filmed at The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, CO.  When Jim Carey was filming Dumb and Dumber he was adamant that he would stay in room 217, not at a different hotel where the rest of the cast were staying. He lasted about two hours before he ran out of the hotel and never went back.  According to the guide lots of people have tried to stay in room 217 without much success.

I visited in-laws in Newnan Ga as they were filming The Founder movie about the beginning of McDonald's owner. Also Newnan is where many episodes of The Walking Dead take place.
And being a Philly guy we can't forget about all of the Rocky movies that were filmed in South Philly as well as scores of other movies.

Ooh I like this post.

We have visited some already mentioned but also:

True Grit location at Hot Creek near Mammoth.

Shane ranch location near the Tetons.

Gunsmoke film set near Kanab.  Parry Lodge used to be the place a lot of the movie stars stayed when they filmed in the area. There are placards all around town showing the movies made there.

Oh and we live 20 minutes away from where they film Outlanders.

jackiemac said:
True Grit location at Hot Creek near Mammoth.

Gunsmoke film set near Kanab.

That was the JW version of True Grit ?

They filmed El Dorado in Tucson but also part of it in Kanab as well.  That is probably where that huge boulder by the river is located (el dorado) and also the pond where JW got shot by the girl ill bet in same movie.  Nothing like that in Tucson so has to be Kanab area.  I would like to go visit that area and find that big boulder if its still there.

Also when i lived in Albuquerque i used to get my truck washed at the carwash from breaking bad all the time, it is thriving.  Its at Manuel and Eubank, not right on the corner but just about a half block west.

While not a movie set, John Wayne Marina in Sequim, WA is built on 22 acres donated by the Duke.  He and his family spent their summers cruising Puget Sound aboard his 136 ft. yacht Wild Goose,  a converted WWII minesweeper.

His heirs still own the cabins and RV Park adjacent to the marina and there is a long corridor inside the building containing the marina offices and restaurant that is lined with display cases showing his movie costumes and props.

I too have enjoyed a pizza at Mystic Pizza

last summer I did the forest gump run at monument valley.... well actually the stop... he stopped running and said, i think I'll go home now....

Back sometime in the 1980's while I was a teen, Dino Delaurentis brought a movie studio to my home town, Wilmington, NC.  Tons of movies and TV shows have been made there over the years.  A lot of tehm were really bad, especially the early ones...but some good stuff too.  I've been in or around a huge number of those locations.... Matlock, Dawson's Creek, several Stephen King movies, Weekend at Bernies, Safe Haven, come to mind....
When they were making Sleeping With The Enemy, I was out on a boat at night and passed by the barge with huge wind machines and lights.... guess they were filming the boat wreck scene...
I think it was Blue Velvet they were making when they used the community college I was attending at the time as the police station.  They filmed scenes in the halls just outside the classrooms between periods.  Hung fake signs over the classroom doors.  We were "locked" into the classrooms and couldn't leave early.

Alot of people didnt know that the Duke was bald and wore a toupee.  He had express instructions for any camera crew never to film him until he gave them permission because he was afraid his toupee may have moved.  However there is a video of him lifting weights (which i never realized he did) and he is bald as a babies bottom. 

Lifting weights for health but chain smoking 5 packs of cigs a day - the two dont go together do they.  Before i quit i used to smoke 1.5 packs a day, i cant even imagine going through 5 packs a day...  So sad, if he had thought about his health sooner maybe he would still be with us. 

He also used to go down to mexico in that same boat i believe. Im not sure if he had the boat shipped down to california or if he sailed from WA to mexico. 

durangod said:
Alot of people didnt know that the Duke was bald and wore a toupee.  He had express instructions for any camera crew never to film him until he gave them permission because he was afraid his toupee may have moved.  However there is a video of him lifting weights (which i never realized he did) and he is bald as a babies bottom. 

Lifting weights for health but chain smoking 5 packs of cigs a day - the two dont go together do they.  Before i quit i used to smoke 1.5 packs a day, i cant even imagine going through 5 packs a day...  So sad, if he had thought about his health sooner maybe he would still be with us. 

He also used to go down to mexico in that same boat i believe. Im not sure if he had the boat shipped down to california or if he sailed from WA to mexico.

The weight lifting was probably a carry over from college.  If I'm not mistaken, The Duke played football for USC along with Ward Bond.

FenderP said:
The weight lifting was probably a carry over from college.  If I'm not mistaken, The Duke played football for USC along with Ward Bond.

He did indeed play at USC; All Conference OG, if I recall. A shoulder injury incurred while bodysurfing led him to the movies...

signcut said:
He did indeed play at USC; All Conference OG, if I recall. A shoulder injury incurred while bodysurfing led him to the movies...

And I believe Ward Bond was a defensive tackle and that's probably how they became buddies -taking each other on in practice, most likely.

Larry N. said:
He might have lasted longer, but I doubt he'd be with us today, since he was born in 1907...

It was The Duke, man!  Of course 111 would have been possible!  :)

FenderP said:
It was The Duke, man!  Of course 111 would have been possible!  :)

+1 

122 would have been easy for the Duke  :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldest_people

Back
Top Bottom