WORST roads for RV travel: Your nominee(s)??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting responses about Indiana.  There was a section of 70 West I hit a couple of weeks ago that made me think I was four wheeling.  I thought it was horrible towing a trailer at highway speeds.  I imagine it would be completely dangerous for an unsuspecting motorcycle rider.

Any road going through San Francisco, except maybe 19th Ave. between Hwy 280 and the Golden Gate Bridge if you stay in the middle lane.  :)

I-65 through Birmingham.  Wasn't, and couldn't, drive anywhere close to the posted speeds and was still bouncing us and our camper.

hedhunter9 said:
I80 toll road thru Indiana.... Since they leased the road out. the upkeep to the road has stopped...
It is horrible .. Drove our MH east and by the time we got to the Ohio Line, that road had shook almost everything
in the MH loose.... 
  And the really painfull thing is,, we had to pay a toll for the right to drive on it...... SMH !
Never again.. Will travel US20 east from now on...

Bob

Another vote here.
Pa gets a well deserved bad rap, but this road last year was hands down the worse road I ever traveled.  Cavernous pot holes.
Surprised i didn't break something. 
The tolls were very high to pull a trailer, and clearly the money isn't being used to fix the road.

I-65 thru Birmingham and I-10 thru Louisiana have to be two of the worst. Somebodies brother inlaw must have needed a job an his company must have did these two. He should have stuck to residential drive ways.

I-90 through Eastern Washington State. Concrete roads, cracked my windshield from sheer bumpiness from the middle top and middle bottom of the front windshield on my last trip to Idaho.

On Youtube I follow a couple truck drivers who post their travel videos as they go all around the country delivering freight.

One of them stated that Indiana's interstate was even worse than Louisiana's I10.  Now that's BAD. 

PopPop51 said:
Thirteen miles of I-10 between the Atchafalaya causeway and Lafayette, although they were working on it last October.
Texas 105 between Beaumont and Brenham would be a great way to avoid Houston if the road wasn't in such bad shape.
Some stretches of I-90 in Idaho and Western Montana are getting pretty worn and washboarded.

I hadn't noticed that 105 was that bad; they've paved recently. Not that it's a great road, but not bad, from when I've driven it.

It is a huge sight better than driving through Houston...!

Been a while since I went through, but I remember I-5 through Portland, OR as being one of the worst roads I had the misfortune of  'driving'; more like bouncing all over...

It is amazing that so many of the votes are about I-10 in south Louisiana fairly near where I live (about 40 miles north of I-10), as well as Texas 105 which I have driven in my coach 2 or 3 times in the last year.      This is particularly amazing since I  feel  I-10 in east Texas is worse than the stretch in much of western Louisiana, and my first pick is the 3132 loop on the south side of Shreveport LA that connects I-20 to I-49, the problem here is not it being rough, or in  disrepair , but instead that the spacing of the expansion joints wheel hop if one attempts to drive on it with an RV or pulling a trailer at near the speed limit.    I have experienced this with my current coach as well as 2 boat trailers on that loop.

signcut said:
I hadn't noticed that 105 was that bad; they've paved recently. Not that it's a great road, but not bad, from when I've driven it.

It is a huge sight better than driving through Houston...!

I'd take a long cut through El Paso to not drive through Houston!  :)

As a state I agree Oklahoma wins on shear number of bad roads, though none stand out to me as being particularly bad, sort of a quantity vs quality (or lack there of) thing.

Isaac-1 said:
Now if only there was a good bypass option past San Antonio

Right on, Isaac.

It?s slow, but you can take the back roads through Boerne, etc. and keep following the back roads around. Nice scenery and shops too. I recommend the ?Dodging Duck? for lunch.

Given my starting point and desire to miss Houston as well, TX 105 to US290  with a short dodge down to 71 and back to US290 to avoid the center of Austin may be a better route.  If only they would widen US290 from Austin to Johnson City as much of it is still a narrow 4 lane road through relative hilly up and down terrain.  At least the lanes feel narrow there with no shoulder in much of the stretch.  Of course this route means traveling almost half way across Texas before getting on an interstate highway heading west.

You said ?Johnson City?, Isaac, and one thing popped into my head -Ronnie?s BBQ!  I cant believe we used to drive right past Ronnie?s to go to the Salt Lick!  IMHO Ronnie?s is better than Salt Lick, Coopers (any of them), you name it. Yeah, back roads in TX be good.

Sure there is some good BBQ in that area, but if I am around there I will be stopping for German food at Der Linderbaum in Fredericksburg

Back
Top Bottom