rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: WORST roads for RV travel: Your nominee(s)??  (Read 2759 times)

Compadre

• ---
Re: WORST roads for RV travel: Your nominee(s)??
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2018, 04:13:47 PM »
Agree with I-10 through Louisiana.  Never again.

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2018, 04:43:56 PM »
It is amazing that so many of the votes are about I-10 in south Louisiana fairly near where I live (about 40 miles north of I-10), as well as Texas 105 which I have driven in my coach 2 or 3 times in the last year.      This is particularly amazing since I  feel  I-10 in east Texas is worse than the stretch in much of western Louisiana, and my first pick is the 3132 loop on the south side of Shreveport LA that connects I-20 to I-49, the problem here is not it being rough, or in  disrepair , but instead that the spacing of the expansion joints wheel hop if one attempts to drive on it with an RV or pulling a trailer at near the speed limit.    I have experienced this with my current coach as well as 2 boat trailers on that loop.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

FenderP

• ---
  • Non Omnis Moriar
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2018, 05:23:38 PM »
I hadn't noticed that 105 was that bad; they've paved recently. Not that it's a great road, but not bad, from when I've driven it.

It is a huge sight better than driving through Houston...!

I'd take a long cut through El Paso to not drive through Houston!   :)
I'd rather you offend me with the truth than appease me with a lie.

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2018, 06:21:54 PM »
Now if only there was a good bypass option past San Antonio
2002 Safari Trek 2830

Peteyboy

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2018, 07:26:23 PM »
Oklahoma sticks out in my mind as being pretty hard to beat.

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2018, 08:38:33 PM »
As a state I agree Oklahoma wins on shear number of bad roads, though none stand out to me as being particularly bad, sort of a quantity vs quality (or lack there of) thing.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

FenderP

• ---
  • Non Omnis Moriar
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2018, 09:21:55 PM »
Now if only there was a good bypass option past San Antonio

Right on, Isaac.

It’s slow, but you can take the back roads through Boerne, etc. and keep following the back roads around. Nice scenery and shops too. I recommend the “Dodging Duck” for lunch.

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2018, 11:11:51 PM »
Given my starting point and desire to miss Houston as well, TX 105 to US290  with a short dodge down to 71 and back to US290 to avoid the center of Austin may be a better route.  If only they would widen US290 from Austin to Johnson City as much of it is still a narrow 4 lane road through relative hilly up and down terrain.  At least the lanes feel narrow there with no shoulder in much of the stretch.  Of course this route means traveling almost half way across Texas before getting on an interstate highway heading west.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

FenderP

• ---
  • Non Omnis Moriar
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2018, 09:32:53 PM »
You said “Johnson City”, Isaac, and one thing popped into my head -Ronnie’s BBQ!  I cant believe we used to drive right past Ronnie’s to go to the Salt Lick!  IMHO Ronnie’s is better than Salt Lick, Coopers (any of them), you name it. Yeah, back roads in TX be good.

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2018, 01:34:37 AM »
Sure there is some good BBQ in that area, but if I am around there I will be stopping for German food at Der Linderbaum in Fredericksburg
2002 Safari Trek 2830

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2018, 09:10:46 AM »
I-10 through LA. - The WORST!!!
as well as the same I-10 through Louisiana (2 years ago)

Bill
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret - 1961-1981)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Cats: Grace-11 & Squeak-6, Winnie the ShihTzu - 16 mos

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2018, 12:36:51 PM »
I might have to defer to parts of the Alaskan Highway, but after everyone gets through listing their worst roads, I challenge you to drive your RV on parts of I-5 and I-10 through Los Angeles. You'll never challenge our state's supremecy on bad roads again.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 960 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

FenderP

• ---
  • Non Omnis Moriar
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2018, 03:12:28 PM »
Sure there is some good BBQ in that area, but if I am around there I will be stopping for German food at Der Linderbaum in Fredericksburg

Eve’s Cafe in Lampasas if you’re close enough. You don’t have to deal with the tourist trap that is Fredericksburg and the German food is amazing.

Kind of off topic, but hey, if you have to go off the beaten path to find a smooth road, you might as well have some good eats.

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2018, 03:35:41 PM »
I challenge you to drive your RV on parts of I-5 and I-10 through Los Angeles. You'll never challenge our state's supremecy on bad roads again.

X2. Aside from the stress of driving I-10 connecting to I-5, I truly wonder sometimes what's going to be broken/cracked/etc on the coach when I finally exit the valley. Several times I've detoured via Twentynine Palms and Lucerne Valley just to avoid the whole mess
Scott
Fulltiming in a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350
Eezrv TPMS, 970W Solar, Tri-Metric Battery monitor
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab toad
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster toad braking system

CJ4812

• ---
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2018, 01:26:34 PM »
X2 AGREED
We should have been paid to use it.

X3  I was on this road last week.  It shook my motorhome so bad the end of my faucet fell off.  It is less than 1 year old.  Hopefully the warranty will cover it.
2017 Coachmen Pursuit 33BH
2014 Chevy Equinox Toad
All Blue OX towing components

darsben

• ---
  • Retired seeing the USA
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2018, 02:00:04 PM »
I drove I 81 south from Syracuse to Scranton Saturday.
I 10 in Louisiana and West Texas wins hands down. It is no contest with Louisiana being the worst and the stretch near Sulphur probably the worst of the worst
1990 Fleetwood Southwind on P30 chassis located in
Central NY in summer and beautiful Casa Grande AZ in winter

John Stephens

• ---
  • Vacations begin when you leave the driveway
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2018, 05:10:07 PM »
Hands down with no close second in my opinion is westbound I-10 through Louisiana. 30 miles or more of the worst road I've ever seen, so bad, it bottomed out my generator on its corner springs and severed my conduit to the transfer switch, leaving me with no power.

Second worst I've seen but nothing close to I-10 is northbound I-55 in Arkansas. It has about an eight mile stretch that reminded me of I-10.
John
Cape Coral, Fl.
2005 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
2018 Chevy Equinox

Pocket Rocket

• ---
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2018, 05:35:25 PM »
Hwy 41 south of the Trans Canada Highway to the Cypress Hills Provincial Park in southeastern Alberta, Canada. Road is poorly built and maintained.
Chief Randy (Retired)
2003 Sierra 2500 HD 8.1 L Gas
2004 Topaz 5er

“Always be yourself, unless you can be a pirate. Then always be a pirate.”

xrated

• ---
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2018, 06:20:57 PM »
I'm going to nominate one, not based on road condition (it's actually very smooth), but on the layout of the road!  US129, also known as "The Dragon"  This is a U.S. route that snakes through the Smoky Mountains in TN and on to N.C.  The 11 mile section of road officially known as the Dragon starts at Tabcat Bridge just as you leave the lake and continues over the state line and into N.C.  This is an 11 mile section of road famous for it's 318 turns in that 11 miles.  There is actually a ban on trailers over 30' and I can guarantee that if you ever decide to try it with a sizable trailer/5ver, you will never be tempted to go through there again.  Great for motorcycles, not so much for trailers.
2016 F350 Crew Cab Dually King Ranch Diesel
2017 Keystone Fuzion Impact 303
Track Bike  2008 GSX-R750
"If it ain't Fast......It ain't Fun

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2018, 06:52:49 AM »
Xrated - we have several like that in the Ozarks.  Missouri's road motto is:  If it can't have a curve, it ain't a road.  Anyway, US 160 between Highway 65 (north of Branson) going east for about 30 miles is one that will make you pitch your cookies.  Not rough but when you see your own taillights more than once you tend to wonder.

Bill
USAF (Ret - 1961-1981)
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Cats: Grace-11 & Squeak-6, Winnie the ShihTzu - 16 mos

CapeDave

• ---
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2018, 12:47:12 PM »
I will never go over the George Washington in NY City again!
Toll road you should bring bridging equipment to pass some of the pot holes.
This year went the Tapenzee then down to 95.
No pot holes but traffic and an inattentive driver took out our motorhome.
You think roads are bad come to the Northeast for some of the most idiotic drivers out there!

KandT

• ---
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2018, 02:23:50 PM »
As you come West from Ohio and then hook up around Chicago to head on 90 (I believe).  I don't know what the road surface was like because I was too concerned about bodily harm! 

I had read that was a bad section but figured that we weren't hitting it during rush hour.  Wow was that a mistake! 

A lane change turn signal is like a red cape to a bull on those highways.  This isn't my preferred method of driving at all but you had to be aggressive just to get out of there.  Ironically, the people you cut off probably get ticked and then cut someone else off.   The cycle is vicious. 

I prefer giving and getting lots of space and happy to let people.  I was getting eaten alive!
2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
American Car Dolly
2009 Accord Toad
It's not a problem.  It's a project!

muskoka guy

• ---
  • 2000 Coachmen Santara 370 isb cummins diesel
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2018, 07:49:42 PM »
NM 285 between Carlsbad and Lovington -not only the roughest, most pot-holed, nay SINK-HOLED road I have ever been on (there is literally a sign that says, "Caution, Sink Hole May Occur Next Three Miles"), but also, if I'm not mistaken, was one of this year's most deadly in the nation.
We visited the Carlsbad caverns last winter. I will second the vote on this one. We left on a Sunday morning, and past a steady line of oil rig trucks and equipment the whole way. It is very busy with oil work in this area, and the heavy trucks are surely pounding the road to absolute crap.

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2018, 02:20:04 PM »
Xrated - we have several like that in the Ozarks.  Missouri's road motto is:  If it can't have a curve, it ain't a road.  Anyway, US 160 between Highway 65 (north of Branson) going east for about 30 miles is one that will make you pitch your cookies.  Not rough but when you see your own taillights more than once you tend to wonder.

Bill

Bill, it has been a couple of  decades since I last drove it, but there is at least one highway in Missouri that does not follow that rule, it is Hwy 19 the one leading to where my ex-mother in law lived in Winona MO.   There is stretch of this highway between Winona and Thayer that is like a roller coaster, up one hill and down the next over and over.  I think this is the only road where I have ever became motion sick while driving, more over it has happened more than once.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2018, 06:22:06 AM »
Bill, it has been a couple of  decades since I last drove it, but there is at least one highway in Missouri that does not follow that rule, it is Hwy 19 the one leading to where my ex-mother in law lived in Winona MO.   There is stretch of this highway between Winona and Thayer that is like a roller coaster, up one hill and down the next over and over.  I think this is the only road where I have ever became motion sick while driving, more over it has happened more than once.
Oh there are many like that Issac.  The state was a bit late on buying bulldozers to cut down hills and fill valleys.  When we first moved here there were a couple of teenagers killed doing what they call 'hilltopping' where you go as fast as you can down those up and down roads and eventually find one hill where you actually leave the ground at the top.  These teenagers unfortunately found the consequences of that when they flew into a tree.  Sad.

Bill
USAF (Ret - 1961-1981)
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad

John Stephens

• ---
  • Vacations begin when you leave the driveway
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2018, 09:52:24 AM »

Oh yeah! I grew up in St. Louis and traveled the roads of the Ozarks many, many times, finding those roller coasters that would actually make you feel like your stomach was in your mouth. And we had roads in north St. Louis county that I would use for road racing when I was a teenager but wouldn't even think to try to drive a motor coach on one of them with hairpins and switchbacks.
John
Cape Coral, Fl.
2005 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
2018 Chevy Equinox

NewmanRacing

• ---
    • Norms Carpet Cleaning
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2018, 11:58:38 AM »
Off ramp for the Hot Wheels factory.
1993 Fleetwood G30 21' Jamboree
1976 Dodge Class C - Deceased
1969 Starcraft Starcruiser- Deceased

Do not wait til you're half dead to live a full life.

FenderP

• ---
  • Non Omnis Moriar
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2018, 12:27:02 PM »
That wouldn't be bad, NewmanRacing, that would be awesome!

skydivemark

• ---
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2018, 11:34:00 AM »
I-95N interchange getting on to I-26W is horrible.

Also - It's certainly not a main road but the road going to Clinch River Campground near Gate City, VA is a narrow one lane dirt road for 2-3 miles (seems like 5). If you're towing (especially a toad) and meet head-to-head with someone else doing the same, you're in real trouble. there's not even enough room for an RV to get past a car, worse yet 2 RV's getting past each other. The road is also one lane paved for several miles with only a few spots to safely get past a car. Both the paved and unpaved have a cliff on one side.
2015 Thor Four Winds 31L
Clermont, FL

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2018, 01:07:21 PM »
I-95 from the NC/SC line to Georgia. Terrible. THUMP, THUMP, THUMP for 50 or 60 miles. I blew out a tire on my trailer last fall. I know they were working on it at the time. Does anyone know how it is now?
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL