Ford 460 stalling during coast+left turn+incline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeworX

Hey guys,

So twice now (once last year and then again about 45 minutes ago) we've stalled while coasting (no accelerator) while a) making a left turn down off a steep hill, and b) turning left through a round-about going up-hill. No power was being applied in either case so the engine was almost at idle. Immediately after the engine would crank but would not catch right away. After about 10 seconds of cranking it would eventually catch.

Any idea what might cause this? The only abnormality noted would be sometimes a weak turn-over of the starter motor but most of the time it's a strong crank+start.  The gas tank was 90% full.

The engine is a re-build with about 10K miles .

Oh my, curse my failing memory. A friend of mine ( he?s since passed) had a similar problem about 20 years ago with a 460 on a John Deere chassis. I for the life of me can?t remember the solution. I don?t think his stalled while coasting, but the left hand turn and incline I remember. Seems like maybe a collapsing vacuum accumulator or hose going to it being pulled in turn or something. If it comes to me I?ll post. Good luck. It?s cheaply solvable I believe.

Sounds to me like a weak fuel pump. Low fuel pressure, so the fuel supply gets low when inertia from the turn or hill-climbing puts extra load on it.  Ford F53's of that vintage were notorious for fuel pump problems, so if yours has never been replaced it's perhaps time...

The bad news is the pump is in the fuel tank.  A second, inline electric fuel pump might be enough to overcome the problem, avoiding the need to empty and drop the fuel tank.

I had a 460 many moons ago.  It started stalling while coasting or shaking and then stalling at stop lights.  That turned out to be a partially plugged fuel filter.  The filter was a can screwed into the side of the carburetor.  Again that was many moons ago!  To me that was strange as usually fuel starvation shows up when trying to accelerate not when stopped.

I've had that happen twice on my 250 diesel but only when turning left from a complete stop. I called the dealer and they said it was a problem with some engines and just make sure I applied the "gas" peddle when making a left turn. I have done that and had no more trouble. My engine never shut down so that I had to re-crank it though.

Start simple and check out the fuel pump relay switch.
$16 at Autozone for the expensive one.  ;)
On my 1987 it is located right in front of the battery on the drivers side. Super easy to replace.

Back
Top Bottom