Do you attend NRA events

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi, as with most NRA members i get quite a few emails regarding events in our area. 

I am just curious if anyone goes to those events as i have never been to one.  The main reason i never go is because many of them offer things that i would love but are way too expensive for me.  Such as training classes but at $300+ for the class no way i can do it. 

Please dont turn this into a political debate, if you hate the NRA then its probably best to not reply, or at least not reply with hate.  :)

We usually go to the local ?Friends of the NRA Banquet? in the nearby towns. We?ve even been involved in helping with a couple. Much of the money raised, comes back to our area for teaching firearm safety, supporting the local 4 H club shooting events, local gun ranges, etc. The banquet is usually an event where everyone has a great time, with like minded people.

I've never been to one but would like to if I get a chance.  We used to be members, but dropped them just because we weren't happy with their marketing techniques/handling of us as members.  We still support the NRA, though.

FenderP said:
I've never been to one but would like to if I get a chance.  We used to be members, but dropped them just because we weren't happy with their marketing techniques/handling of us as members.  We still support the NRA, though.

The banquets are pretty neat. Not, terribly expensive to get through the door and gets you a good meal. Often, just the ticket purchase, gets you into a drawing. From that point, how you spend your money is up to you! We usually drop about $500.00. But, the money goes to a good cause....and you may win a nice firearm. We?ve walked-away, with at least three. A win - win, for all!

Memtb said:
  The banquets are pretty neat. Not, terribly expensive to get through the door and gets you a good meal. Often, just the ticket purchase, gets you into a drawing. From that point, how you spend your money is up to you! We usually drop about $500.00. But, the money goes to a good cause....and you may win a nice firearm. We?ve walked-away, with at least three. A win - win, for all!

It's mostly been a matter of wrong place/wrong time for us.  I'll be checking the NRA site and see if things line up.  I've been hankering for some new steel.  :D

FenderP said:

I had much the same experience with their constant aggressive attempts at gathering donations.  At one point about 25 years ago I had a phone call from one of their donation solicitors where they told me that my basic membership to the NRA was hurting them because it cost more for them to send out the member information than they generated by my basic membership.  So I solved this problem for them

Isaac-1 said:
I had much the same experience with their constant aggressive attempts at gathering donations.  At one point about 25 years ago I had a phone call from one of their donation solicitors where they told me that my basic membership to the NRA was hurting them because it cost more for them to send out the member information than they generated by my basic membership.  So I solved this problem for them

That is so unfortunate, its too bad that one employee with wrong training was not corrected while on the call by a supervisor.  They really should not be calling anyone at home for that matter anyway.  Its not a perfect world and sometimes bad employees give a whole company a bad name. 

I have been a member for 2 years now.  Although i do get alot of emails as well, i dont consider them any more aggressive than many other memberships that i have.  If not interested i just delete the emails.

I cant do alot but i do what i can and if that means just the membership then thats all they get. 

I was a member for a year but got SICK of all the telephone calls so I never renewed.  I still get their junk mail in the mailbox but it only gets used for fire starter, along with all the credit card, satellite television, insurance and political solicitation junk.

gravesdiesel said:
I was a member for a year but got SICK of all the telephone calls so I never renewed.  I still get their junk mail in the mailbox but it only gets used for fire starter, along with all the credit card, satellite television, insurance and political solicitation junk.

Strange i have never received a phone call from them! 

Isaac-1 said:

I am not bashing the NRA, like I said, I support them.  The problem we had as members was that occasionally we would get snail mail to join so we did.  Between the time we joined (i.e. paid money) and the time we got our cards was six months and during that time we received tons of letters encouraging us to renew our membership!  Crazy!  Then, AFTER we became members, the junk mail increased to a box-stuffing level and continued for our entire membership year and the majority of it was recruiting us as if we weren't members!  I wonder how much money they waste doing that? Ironically since we've not been members we have received zero junk mail and only ONE phone call trying to recruit us as members.  It's just so much better NOT being a member.

I do, however, continue to be Relentless!

I totally agree, if i got that much snail mail i would be upset as well.  Im not sure why i dont get alot of it.  I mean i do get some sharing specials on multi year, and longer membership savings. Once in a while i get something from insurance companies and i wonder why, maybe its them i dont know but i just sort my mail at the post office and the junk stuff goes in file 13. 

Now you talking about wasting paper, have you ever received multiple tax notifications from the same office regarding the same thing by our beloved GOV...

One time when i was working in the corp entity we got a bunch of mail from the IRS.  It was regarding taxes for previous years that we requested.  They sent us 25 separate envelopes with one year in each envelope, now talk about a waste of paper and postage.  If you mutilply that by how often they do that, we are talking about a bunch of money folks.  We could probably take a big chunk out of the deficit just on paper waste and postage waste. 

Im glad you still support them in your own way, anything helps im sure.  Some people are in a position that they can give alot, and some are not. I am one of the "have nots" and i certainly dont feel that my money goes very far at all with them.  But it is what it is...    :)

Paul 1950 said:
You dont want this to be political, but then you bash the Federal Government.  :eek:

Since when did bashing the Government for being wasteful,  turn into a political debate ?

Paul 1950 said:
You dont want this to be political, but then you bash the Federal Government.  :eek:

He didn't "bash" any entity, he just pointed out, as per the current discussion, some wasteful expenditures.  Stop trying to start trouble, you probably have no interest in the NRA anyway, except maybe to shut them down.

Paul 1950 said:

I do apologize sir.  As others have said my intention was not to bash but to simply expand on the current related conversation about waste.  However since i have a logical mind, considering your reaction, i wonder if you happen to be one of the "haves" that dont really care about waste as it is your money as well as ours that is being wasted. They may be only nickels and dimes but x that by millions of times and it adds up.    If you are a "have" i just sincerely hope that you give part of your wealth to charities as there are many worthwhile places that could use a helping hand sir. 

For some, There is no tolerance for anyone with a different opinion.

durangod said:
I do apologize sir.  As others have said my intention was not to bash but to simply expand on the current related conversation about waste.  However since i have a logical mind, considering your reaction, i wonder if you happen to be one of the "haves" that dont really care about waste as it is your money as well as ours that is being wasted. They may be only nickels and dimes but x that by millions of times and it adds up.    If you are a "have" i just sincerely hope that you give part of your wealth to charities as there are many worthwhile places that could use a helping hand sir.

So you have hijacked your own topic.  Going from wanting to know who goes to NRA meetings, to government waste.

Paul 1950 said:
So you have hijacked your own topic.  Going from wanting to know who goes to NRA meetings, to government waste.

He didn't "hijack" anything; he simply followed along with a conversation that was within the parameter of the OP. Noting a fact isn't exactly agitating or 'going political'; it had no slant to it, but was simply an observation.

I assume that you never veer in any conversation, which would explain your annoyance...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom