Bad smell when entering TT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hflors

Just got back from our weekly "rv check" at the storage lot.  When I enter my tt I am always hit with a very unpleasant smell.  Kind of like rotten food.  It is right as you come in the door.  I thought it might be from the kitchen sink, but I opened the cover and no smell at all.  The rest of the TT is fine.  The only place I smell it is when I enter.  Anyone else ever have anything like this?  I keep damp-rid in it and I have dryer sheets spread all around the floor.  This week we just added ant traps (the storage area has fire ants, and I don't want them in my TT)  Any ideas???

Check under the sink for the smell, it might be a bad air admittance valve.  Check for water leaks, both plumbing and rain water, rot may have started causing an odor.  Those damp-rid and other measures will not remove enough moisture to matter a bit.  If you want to reduce humidity, run a dehumidifier.

Are you sure it's not just a dirty black tank.  I need to rinse mine decent, or a few weeks later, it can have an odor.

Poor some water in your drains.  The elbows may be low and allowing odors to come up from your grey tank.

When not on in use i keep 2 bags of kingsford charchoal open in the trailer and it takes out all the odours my trailer is 5 yrs old and still smells new

Hflors,

Did you ever figure out what was stinking?

I would love an update.

I recently had the same problem. Thought it may have been the black tank as well, but I traced the smell to the front kitchen area. I found some gray tank enzyme tablets that you drop and add water at the sink. It has been a week now since I dropped it in and no smell. You can find these tablets at any Camping World.

The grey tank can smell worse than the black. My smell came from the shower p trap being dry. We never used the shower but I had to remember to run water in it occasionally to keep the smell from coming back.

does your storage have power? got solar?

if so turn on a 100 watt incandescent light bulb. 6 inches off the floor. (heat rises). this will move the air a bit.  then a vent fan turned on low.

this makes a little bit of heat to move air, and the fan blows some out. remember to have a small opening at the other end of your rv to allow air in.

and go shut it all down if rain is expected.

Just a heads up to those where it can freeze. Use RV antifreeze not water in your P traps and tankes if you have winterised. One  more tidbit, if you didn't use the RV antifreeze in your water lines make shure you drain the foot activated valve on the toilet. It can trap water in the bottom and crack.
Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom