Progressive EMS-PT30x Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butchiiii

Hi Folks,
Got my Ems-pt30x today. What do you guys use to secure it to the power pedestal?
Progressive offers what looks like a bicycle cable lock which seems kind of flimsy.
Any suggestion are appreciated.
Thanks

Locks only keep more or less honest people honest.  It only slows die hard crooks.  Do due diligence and let the Good Lord punish the crook.

I wrap a fairly heavy duty bike cable lock around the post, then lock to the metal lug on the unit with a padlock. 

I make use of the cable lock that came with the unit and secure it to the pedestal and/or the electrical box knowing it will only prevent a quick grab and run.  I have never had an issue.  A determined thief could defeat this and likely any other locking device, so I work with what I have and hope for the best.

grashley said:
Locks only keep more or less honest people honest.  It only slows die hard crooks.  Do due diligence and let the Good Lord punish the crook.

So, based on that philosophy, you don't bother to lock the doors on your house when you leave?

This is what I use, also good for other applications.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Master-Lock-8433DAT-Python-Adjustable-Locking-Cable-6-Foot/150299574?athcpid=150299574&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVAV&athieid=v0&athstid=CS002&athguid=466001f5-760804e5-b87eb1aeec2472e0&athena=true

This sort of security question is always arguable.  Many, if not most, campgrounds are essentially crime-free, but there are some that routinely suffer petty theft.  Those in or near major metro areas, as well as some mega-campgrounds at popular tourist destinations, may attract folks with light fingers and opportunist views.  Professional thieves probably won't bother, or they hit RV storage yards or dealer lots where they can get a good selection and find the expensive stuff.

Personally, if I thought I needed more than a mild deterrent to secure my property in and around the campsite, I would not go there again. If a fortress mentality is needed, it's not an enjoyable camping experience.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
This sort of security question is always arguable.  Many, if not most, campgrounds are essentially crime-free, but there are some that routinely suffer petty theft.  Those in or near major metro areas, as well as some mega-campgrounds at popular tourist destinations, may attract folks with light fingers and opportunist views.  Professional thieves probably won't bother, or they hit RV storage yards or dealer lots where they can get a good selection and find the expensive stuff.

Personally, if I thought I needed more than a mild deterrent to secure my property in and around the campsite, I would not go there again. If a fortress mentality is needed, it's not an enjoyable camping experience.

Here, Here.

We have the 50 amp version.  Most of the time  we don't lock it. Occasionally we will use a cable lock if the area looks sketchy

With the cost of the thing, I figure the extra 90 seconds to lock it is worthwhile to keep the honest folks honest, and give me an extra moment to catch those unencumbered by honesty.  ;)

I hardwired mine so no worries on my end 8)

That being said, if it were me I'd probably have some sort of cable and lock available onboard the rig, in case I ended up at a place where I felt it might be needed....but would probably rarely if ever bother. 

That said, I could see maybe some sort of light cable...like clothesline light...or a strap....with just a clip, rigged in such a way that I could hang the thing from the post so the weight of it isn't pulling down on the plug.  I've been to a few places where the outlets were so worn that my regular shore power plug would barely stay in on it's own.  This rig's secondary duty might be to slow a snatch and grabber or to fool passers by into thinking the thing is locked.

If I locked it I'd forever be going out there to disconnect, only to find I forgot to bring the key :eek:

FunSteak said:
With the cost of the thing, I figure the extra 90 seconds to lock it is worthwhile to keep the honest folks honest, and give me an extra moment to catch those unencumbered by honesty.  ;)

Yep I think that I will go that route. Never have had anything taken in 50 years of camping but for peace of mind
at the least.
Thanks for the input everyone.

Back
Top Bottom