Super C towing large boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Waynepaul

Ok so I was looking a getting a toter (sportchassis) to tow are boat when we travel. But now I have started to look at super C and want some real world experience. I have seen they can tow up to 15k. We have a 37ft boat (43ft from trailer ball to prop) here are a few question
How do they tow?
Thoughts on towing a 43ft trailer that weighs 13k?
Does anyone launch a boat with there rig?
We are looking at doing some longer trips (1500-2000) trips towing thoughts?
Looking at gulfstream supernovas thoughts?
I haul heavy equipment for my business so I'm used to driving tractor trailers.

Welcome to the forum!

It seems you are looking for very long combination.  I hope you have lots of experience, specially for long trips as you mentioned.  I would not do it.  Wish you well.

Yes I have little bit of experience I drive a 75ft tractor trailer on a daily basis. I also have held a class A CDL for the last 10 years. I know I'm looking a long combo should come in at little under 80ft. I'm just wondering how it will tow.

The Super-C coaches are all on medium duty truck chassis, so the capability is there.  Perhaps especially so on somethng like the Jayco Seneca on the FTL M2 chassis.  The downside, compared to a Sportchassis truck as a toter, is that the Super-C is already carrying a large & heavy body. The Gross Combined Weight is going to be pushing the GCWR.  Within the performance constraints of a near max weight rig, it should tow fine (but I've not towed anything that heavy).

As for back a big trailer down a ramp with a motorhome, I wouldn't want to do it. Rear visibility is none to great (although camera helps) and the maneuverability of an 80 foot combo in the ramp area has got to be challenging unless it is bigger than the ramps I'm familiar with (but my largest trailered boat was 27 ft).

The launch with the rig I figured would have to be a perfect ramp set up and not busy art all to do it. We probably would just drop at the marina and have them launch and store trailer. There is a gulfstream 6474 for sale and claims it's a 15k hitch. I know it really comes down to gcrw.. I worry about trailer sway since it would on a longer rig then on used too.

Hmmm, I am curious and wanting to plan a trip like this myself
I have a 31 Foot class C Coachman Leprechaun. I have an 18 Foot Wellcraft 180 sportsman. That weighs 3000k lbs. do you think that is a ?feasible? combination?

I have no idea what a gulfstream 6474 is like, but  Gulfstream hasn't had a Super-C in quite awhile - the last was the Super-Nova around 2010, I think.  What year is it?    The Supernova was on a Freightliner M2 chassis, I think.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
As for back a big trailer down a ramp with a motorhome, I wouldn't want to do it. Rear visibility is none to great (although camera helps) and the maneuverability of an 80 foot combo in the ramp area has got to be challenging unless it is bigger than the ramps I'm familiar with (but my largest trailered boat was 27 ft).

I'm reminded of the houseboats I watched being launched last year near Page AZ
These large trucks would drive down the very long ramps nose first and make a u-turn just before the water.  Turned fast too...I thought the first one was going to tip.

I've been considering towing my little 18 ft boat behind my regular C. I'm reluctant though.  I figure it would be easier on a lake where the ramps are basically the length of the trailer.  Around here they're longer...not like Lake Powell though

Attachments

• IMG_20170613_072047282.jpg
    IMG_20170613_072047282.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 23
Back
Top Bottom