How to get an A/C on the roof by yourself

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't know about the heat pump models but my Coleman AC only is 90 pounds shipping Less going up the roof. I have. on several occasions hauled 180 pounds up a ladder.  Of course I was much younger then (20's) but Up the ladder I hauled a FULL Square of Art-Lock Shingles or 180 pounds. Several times.

Shipping weight 156 pounds.

It is still hanging about a foot from the roof edge.

The ceiling height is about 15 ft and the A/C only clears now with the air bags dumped.

I have a Dr. Appoint in 1/2 hour, then I will continue raising it.

Got too dark last night.

The roof vents are not your common small vents.

24 HOUR WARNING

"The compressor of an air conditioner is a bit like a small electric motor in that it has gears and turning parts that require lubrication. The lubrication in the air conditioner compressor comes in the form of oil, typically located in the compressor case itself. When an air conditioner is turned on its side, this oil settles on the bottom half of the compressor and potentially deprives part of the compressor of oil, which can lead to damage and, eventually, compressor burnout.

If an air conditioner has been stored on its side, or if it has been shipped that way, take care to ensure it has been turned horizontally for a period of at least 24 hours prior to running the unit. This allows sufficient time for any oils and lubricants to resettle back to their proper levels, providing protection for internal gears and moving parts.

When you move the unit to the location where you plan to install it, you may have to set it on its side temporarily prior to setting it in place. It's fine to do this, as long as you don't install the unit sideways and you don't turn it on for 24 hours."

Good, That give me an excuse to let it sit on the roof for a day before I install it.

Too hot today anyway.

Going to get it up and on the roof later this evening.

I wish I was closer, I'd come over and help....

I get the feeling you and are are alike in a way, because I can totally see myself doing all sorts of scheming and rigging like you're doing, in an effort to do it all by myself.
Big difference though.
  You seem to be taking your time, and being extra careful.  I often get in a hurry and take shortcuts.

You prob have it by now, but if you get stuck on it....maybe you could find a 2 or 3 upstanding teenagers...like 16-20 year olds around the neighborhood.  Maybe through a boy scout troop or church youth group...

spencerpj said:
That would be a deal breaker for me  ::)

Good Luck HueyPilot

There’s no accounting for tastes in entertainment, spencerpj. Hahaha

Edited for dislexia.

Success,

Old age and craftiness triumphs over youth and strength

I could not wait till tonight, So first I pushed it back square on the ladder.

I rigged another strap and ratchet from the scupper that you can see in the last picture below, (strap thru and over it), and connected it to the other side of the A/C.

I took turns with the three ratchets till I got it to the roof edge and then just pulled on the center strap till it was safely on the roof.

As I was finished the neighbor from across the street came over.  He said "Need any help?",  "Nah I got this, piece of cake" said I.

Now I am going to take the above advice about letting the compressor sit for a day.  It gives me an excuse to rest up.

Attachments

• r20180713_151938.jpg
    r20180713_151938.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 69
  • r20180713_152209.jpg
    r20180713_152209.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 60
  • r20180713_144415.jpg
    r20180713_144415.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 58
  • r20180713_144556.jpg
    r20180713_144556.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 61
  • r20180712_193417.jpg
    r20180712_193417.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 61
HueyPilotVN said:
As I was finished the neighbor from across the street came over.  He said "Need any help?",  "Nah I got this, piece of cake" said I.

Sounds like you have a very smart neighbor.  He must have learned from me........lol

Bill

garyb1st said:
Yup.  Life would be a bummer if we lost that along with the muscle tone.  Congrats Bill.  Nice Job.

I lost my muscle tone a long time ago. Bill can attest to that.  :'( :-X :-[ 
Beat you to it Bill.  ;D :D ;) 

Here is how I did it:  All by myself I drove to my usual RV service place and said "Please install a new AC." With very little effort on my part, it miraculously got on the roof and was installed.  ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom