Surge Guard 41260 Automatic Transfer Switch damage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Berndawg

I check my connections in the transfer switch as a yearly inspection. I found a few loose connections and even worse some scorching and damage. I had no indication of a problem at all. Everything was functioning fine. Attached is a picture. I replaced it with a Surge Guard 40350 RVC. More money but I?m hoping for better results.

Attachments

• 2B237D42-6569-4174-A87D-B7A86B61B44F.jpeg
    2B237D42-6569-4174-A87D-B7A86B61B44F.jpeg
    251.5 KB · Views: 69
Wasn't there a recall (maybe a 'soft' recall) on a certain transfer switch? I thought we had a related thread here in the Winnie board from a few months ago.

Anyway, you did good inspecting your transfer switch - things could have gotten very ugly.

Are the terminals on the 40350 any different? I doubt it. Loose wire connections are either sloppy original installation (all-too-common) or a natural result of road travel and wide temperature swings.  Maybe some Loctite on the terminal threads before you tighten them down?

The relay terminals are the same on the 40350 (2nd pic) as they are on the 41260 (1st pic), but they did add another terminal block on the 40350 so you don't have to mess with doubling up on the jumper.  The Jumper is now prefabricated by Surge Guard, torqued and locktighted.  That new terminal block caused me some fits because it will only take 1 #4 conductor and Winnie has two #6 neutrals that need to be crammed in that terminal.  I ended up with another terminal bolt.  Did you have that issue Berndawg?

PS - I installed the 40350 just for the full surge suppression and remote readout.  I wasn't having a problem with the 41260.

Attachments

• DSC01983-1.jpg
    DSC01983-1.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC01988-1.jpg
    DSC01988-1.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 34
I used a 40350 for several years after the original AEC unit quit and it worked well. Only complaint is that once in awhile it would hum bit, for no good reason I could ever figure out. Often the hum would stop if I removed power and reconnected.

Not sure where your second neutral wire comes from but all wires should be all #4 cable with red,white,black and green ground. 1 from the gensest. 1 from shore and the other to coach.

6 gauge is standard wiring for RV 50A sources, but I can't guess why there are two neutrals.  Both shore and genset should each have the two hots (red & black), a white neutral and a green ground, with a single set of the same out to the load center.

If the two neutrals need to be ganged together, suggest splicing them together first and run a single 6 gauge pigtail to the terminal on the surge Guard.

Berndawg said:
Not sure where your second neutral wire comes from but all wires should be all #4 cable with red,white,black and green ground. 1 from the gensest. 1 from shore and the other to coach.
As Gary says, they use #6.  Not sure why the ran 2 neutrals back in to the transfer switch, but I kept it that way.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
If the two neutrals need to be ganged together, suggest splicing them together first and run a single 6 gauge pigtail to the terminal on the surge Guard.
Thats what I had to do.  I had to use a split bolt because of the size.  It actually worked pretty well.

It is probably because the motorhome uses the service as two separate 120 volt 50 amp feeds rather than a 240 volt 50 amp feed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom