Roadtrek Dodge steering issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roro88

How bad is the Roadtrek steering wandering/ sway issue 1990 -1999 vans? I'm doing research before  my family buys 190 or 170 Roadtrek Popular . I'm worried about steering wheel issue because I'm an inexperience driver.

Wandering implies two things:

1. Too much pressure in the front tires for the load, and/or
2. Too little front end positive caster.

If the reduced pressure is not effective enough then go for more caster.

If the caster spec is +3.5 +/- 1.0 the go for +4.5 degrees.

We owned a 2000 Roadtrek 190 Versatile on a Dodge chassis for five years.  We were experienced with driving vans but it was not any more difficult than any other we had driven.

How bad is the Roadtrek steering wandering/ sway issue 1990 -1999 vans? I'm doing research before my family buys 190 or 170 Roadtrek Popular . I'm worried about steering wheel issue because I'm an inexperience driver.
Hello, I own a 1999 Dodge Roadtrek Popular 190 and I have noticed that mine wonders a little bit. It's NOT that big of a deal. When I purchased this Roadtrek 2 years ago I WAS an inexperience RV driver like you. It took me some time to get use to it but now I have NO problem with driving this gas guzzling pig. LOL.... By the way, Just remember to have a good RV maniac look at the underside, bumper to bumper before you buy one. There are so many things that can go wrong with these RV.

How bad is the Roadtrek steering wandering/ sway issue 1990 -1999 vans? I'm doing research before my family buys 190 or 170 Roadtrek Popular . I'm worried about steering wheel issue because I'm an inexperience driver.
The Roadtrek steering wandering issues are mainly caused by old control arm bushings, old upper/lower ball joints and bad steering arm connectors.

Last edited:
Wandering implies two things:

1. Too much pressure in the front tires for the load, and/or
2. Too little front end positive caster.

If the reduced pressure is not effective enough then go for more caster.

If the caster spec is +3.5 +/- 1.0 the go for +4.5 degrees.
I really don't want to disagree with you but; Your Wrong about tire pressure and your comment about caster & camber. A “bad control arm”, a bad ball joint or worn control arm bushings. When these components fail you can experience symptoms ranging from clunking noises to steering wander.

I really don't want to disagree with you but; Your Wrong about tire pressure and your comment about caster & camber. A “bad control arm”, a bad ball joint or worn control arm bushings. When these components fail you can experience symptoms ranging from clunking noises to steering wander.
You really shouldn't disagree with him.
Given no worn parts too much tire pressure can indeed cause the steering to be twitchy and that will also cause wandering.
Also, of the 3 alignment adjustments (caster, camber, and toe-in) caster is the one that affects the handling the most. Adding caster over and above the factory spec is a common cure for wandering on a motor home (google it right here in this forum if you don't believe me). Camber and toe-in cause tire wear, although if they are out far enough, it'll cause handling issues also.
Worn tie rod ends, a bad idler arm, or a worn pitman arm can add to slop in the steering which is another thing that can cause wandering. A "bad control arm" is really worn bushings or a worn ball joint, which can all affect caster and camber and handling.
Steering stabilizers are often used to "correct" the problem, but all they really do is mask worn parts.
Ask any Jeep guy who drives a lifted rig.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom