Dometic fridge not cooling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jack_f

So my 2002 Dometic refrigerator wasn't working the last time I was at my camper. I have it parked at a friends auto repair place out of town and use it infrequently we we come to visit. I did some checking and there was no 12V to the control board, the thermal fuse on the chimney was open. I reset the fuse and now I have light at the control panel but the check light is on also and no cooling. Fast forward to next weekend, I replaced the control board and now the check light stays off and I can feel the chimney is hot but no change in internal temperature after 3-4 hours.

So my best guess is something went wrong on the control board that forced the heating unit to stay on until it finally overheated the thermal fuse. I don't smell ammonia or see any signs of a leak but that doesn't guarantee there isn't one. Is it possible to overheat the chimney to the point it boils dry and requires some other action to recover it? I read somewhere else a suggestion to remove the unit, turn it upside down for 24 hours then set it back up.

Welcome to the forum.

3-4 hours is not going to make a lot of difference in the temp - especially in Summertime heat.
I plan on 24 to 48 hours before it gets to normal cooling temps.  The freezer should get colder first, the fridge takes longer.
And if it's empty it might take even longer.  Sometimes I'll put ice in both units to help them cool down.

Sometimes my check light will come on.  I turn the unit off and then back on and it clears the fault most of the time.

I've never heard of over heating it.  It's a closed system so unless you have a leak I wouldn't be too worried.
And if I'm not mistaken it's supposed to boil the Ammonia.

See if 48 hours makes a difference.  If not report back and someone might have more advice for you.

Are you trying on AC or propane?  I had an issue with mine where it cooled fine on AC, but on gas I had flame and heat in the flue but it wouldn't cool.  I replaced the orifice tube which gave me a better flame and much more effective cooling.

I ran it two hours on AC and another two on propane with no difference. I had a thermometer inside and it stayed at 84 degrees (refrigerator section) and the floor of the freezer section was still warm as well. We will be back next week so I will leave it on overnight and see but my experience with it before is once I turn it on, I can feel the floor of the freezer unit cooling after an hour or so.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom