Replacing Caribe RIB inflation valve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I recently added inflation to our Caribe RIB, and one of the inflation valves fell apart. Ordered a replacement valve and a removal tool; The tool was the wrong one, and I resorted to a pointed nose pliers to remove the old valve. Worked great, except the cage/nut (the part inside the tube) took a hike down the inside of the tube. Tried my 'spider' retrieval tools, but can't find it.  The new cage/nut is tough to get into the hole.

I've read numerous articles and watched YouTube videos, the most successful being to cut star-shaped slits in the hypalon to make room for to insert the replacement nut, but it requires gluing additional fabric to create a seal. Not my preferred fix.

Meanwhile, I'm back to contemplating my navel.

Attachments

• Caribe.jpg
    Caribe.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 19
I got distracted by more important issues, but I finally got back to replacing the inflation valve in the Caribe RIB. While reading this and viewing the pictures, note that the cage/nut is on the inside of the tube, and can't be removed, nor can the new one be inserted into the tube (without enlarging the hole).

Using a flexible grabber tool and working 'blind', I was able to snag the old cage/nut. However, getting it rotated in the right direction and keeping it there turned out to be a challenge.

After trying various things, such as thread, wire, pliers, I finally thought of using a fender washer and some thread to correctly orient the cage and keep it place while I screwed in the valve. Voilla!

Attachments

• Cage_nut_and_valve.jpg
    Cage_nut_and_valve.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Cage_nut_and_fender_washer.jpg
    Cage_nut_and_fender_washer.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Valve_cage-nut_fender_washer.jpg
    Valve_cage-nut_fender_washer.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Valve_screwed_into_cage-nut.jpg
    Valve_screwed_into_cage-nut.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Valve_inserted_in_RIB_tube.jpg
    Valve_inserted_in_RIB_tube.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 8
Successful sea trial of the RIB's inflation tubes this afternoon. We can't get on any of the boats without the two stowaways.

Attachments

• Chris_Gabby_Zoey.jpg
    Chris_Gabby_Zoey.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Tom_Gabby.jpg
    Tom_Gabby.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 12
sounds like success.. had to do the same thing on an L9 Caribe dinghy. it aint easy.... but that was 10+ years ago and hasn't had to be redone...

Jim, since the L9 is also a RIB, did you experience the same problem with being unable to hold the cage/nut from the opposite side of the tube?

Hey Tom....What year, make and model is your RV?

How to make a signature for your RV so we can serve you better.

1. Click "Profile" button towards the top of the screen.

2. Scroll down a ways and select "Modify Profile"

3. Select Forum Profile

4. Fill it out and click on "Change profile".

Arch Hoagland said:
Hey Tom....What year, make and model is your RV?

1. Click "Profile" button towards the top of the screen.

2. Scroll down a ways and select "Modify Profile"

3. Select Forum Profile

4. Fill it out and click on "Change profile".

Funny stuff right there!!! ;D ;D ;D

[quote author=Arch]Hey Tom....What year, make and model is your RV?[/quote]
Thanks Arch. Click on my name or my avatar and view my profile. All will be revealed  ;)
I prefer to use the dedicated fields in my profile. Seeing long signature lines that include Grandma, Grandpa, the cat, parrot and pet snake merely use up white space and require more scrolling. But, whatever floats your boat. BTW I've been here 25 years  ;D

[quote author=kdbgoat]Funny stuff right there!!! ;D ;D ;D [/quote]
I think Arch was on auto pilot  ;D

Tom, the big boat looks like a SeaRay from what I can see of the swim platform.
I?ve had a couple myself.
Nice boat.
Bye the way, both my dogs have always wanted to come on boat and dinghy also.
Grand times

Bob, we do have a Sea Ray, but not the one in the photo; That's one of our neighbors.

SeaRay is a great boat Tom.
Hopefully you?re getting plenty of use out of it.
Enjoy

I thought that I had posted to this thread but don't see it now....
a quick side track question
I've been around small boats most of my life but haven't seen many of those rigid hull inflatables used as a primary recreational boat. (as in the owner's only boat)  Why is that?  I have seen them most used as a tender or dingy.  They seem like they could be nice little boats..I've never been in one that I can recall though

[quote author=blw]I thought that I had posted to this thread ...[/quote]

You did Brad, and I split it off into its own topic - see here; I thought it deserved to be a separate subject.

Back to the new inflation valve on the RIB ... I finally received the correct (6-pin) air valve wrench yesterday. Turns out that I'd previously done an adequate job of tightening the new valve with pointed pliers. I checked the other valves while I was at it.

I'd previously removed the fixed VHF marine radio from the RIB when it died, and I've had a new (inexpensive) replacement radio sitting in it's box in the garage for several years. Finally shamed myself into installing it on the RIB today. Easy job because I used the mounting bracket for the old radio, and the clip for the old mic'. Just had to crimp 2 wires, and we were back on the air.

Back
Top Bottom