Trailer Plumbing - Shower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobbyg

Hey Folks, I just spent about 30 minutes looking at my shower leak.  Please see the attached picture.  There are two circled areas of the picture.  In the middle is where the leak is coming from.  It looks like it is at the point the pipe comes thru the shower wall where the shower hose attaches.  There is a nipple under the shower hose attachment.  I tried Teflon tape on that connection to be sure it was not leaking from there, and it is not.  At the point this nipple goes thru the casing, there is a black rubber (?) washer that is where I believe the leak is coming from.  I pulled the cold water handle off to see if I could easily remove the whole assembly cover, right side of the attached photo.  It looks like this plastic piece under the handle is removed by simply turning it to line up the tabs with the slots in the case.  Do these even need to come off?

In looking closer, I realized the whole assembly cover is caulked closed at the shower wall, so even if I can get it off, is it advisable to do so?  If I do remove it, is it just a matter of using standard tub caulking to put it back on?  There are 4 screws holding the cover in place and maybe the water handle assembly and the hose nipple where the shower hose attaches. 

Perhaps I am making this harder than I should.  Perhaps that nipple screws off and that rubber washer is what needs to be replaced.  Does it just screw out?  Is that rubber washer just a standard plumbing piece I can get at Lowes? 

Of course, I would like to do as little disassembly of this as possible.  I am in unknown territory and am wondering if anyone out there has ever disassembled this and has any suggestions? 

Thanks for any help you can provide. 
Bob
Coachman Apex 215RPK 25 foot trailer.

Attachments

• 1492B2D8-94A4-435C-9103-4A792F7E46EB.jpeg
    1492B2D8-94A4-435C-9103-4A792F7E46EB.jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 46
Maybe I'm dense, but I'm not clear where your leak is.  The hose just screws on there, and leaks there are common as the cheap fixture ages. If the leak is where the faucet assembly connects to the pipe/tubing behind it, then it has to come out. Yes, it' ssimple construction, screws and tub & tile caulk.  I would replace that whole faucet with something of better quality (and a single lever too), but the simplest is to put another of the same there.

From your description, it sounds like the leak is at the nipple where the shower hose attaches to the faucet. The rubber washer there should make the seal. I took mine apart for a different reason. The manifold that includes the valves and the nipple for the shower hose is a one piece plastic molding. If the leak is not at the washers, you may have a crack in the plastic manifold.

I would replace the rubber washer with one from a hardware store (take the old one with you). If that doesn't work, I would replace that cheesy (I can say that, because I have the same one  ;D) fixture with a better one. As Gary said, upgrade the quality and get a single lever faucet. They aren't that expensive.

Note to self: Replace that cheesy fixture with a better one. 

I recently went through the same thing. 

1.  The leak is probably the anti siphon valve.  It is at the base of the shower hose and os part of the faucet body.

2.  Because you do not know what is behind the fixture, fear comes into play.  It is no big deal to pull 4 screws and pull the box off the wall.  Things will then become obvious to you.

3.  The faucet body is easily replaced.  The part is cheap and available at RVUpgrades.com  among other places.

4.  As Gary said, if you have gone this far, why replace it with another cheap RV faucet?  Upgrade!  This is what I installed.  The back panel is a $4 cutting board from Kroger.  The faucet is available on Amazon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5vy1Nxvc-Y

I did a little more investigation and basically came to the same conclusion as all you suggested, just replace the whole thing.  Fear of the unknown is exactly what it is.  Thanks so much for the helpful hints and I do intend to upgrade. 

Bob

Here is a link for it on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Rozin-Thermostatic-Bathroom-Constant-Temperature/dp/B019O4FUM0

I Did notice in the video that the guy said the hose has to come off the top yet in the picture, it comes off the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom