You Raise Me Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I've always admired Josh Grobin's song 'You Raise Me Up'. I finally figured out an arrangement that allows me to play (on a uke) and sing. Of course, I can't sing it like Josh Grobin sings it. Not sure if I'll introduce it to the Band.

Saw him perform in Pittsburgh several years ago, talented young man. I imagine his voice will continue to get better for many years.

Aye Scott, he has a great voice and good control.

I just remembered, got rained out at the end! Good old Pittsburgh, no matter how certain the forecasters are that it will be clear for the next week, that really means a 50% chance of rain, which translates to a 100% chance if you've been foolish enough to get a lawn seat!  ::) Did get to see about 90% of the show before I just wasn't having fun anymore

I can strum it, but prefer to thumb-strum/roll it.

[quote author=8Muddypaws]If you got the vocal range to pull that off...[/quote]
Only if I tighten my britches.

Go for it Tom.  I was reading that Michael McDonald has a natural baritone speaking voice yet sings in a range that some women wish they could reach.  All it takes is a lot of breath. 

I've been known to sing in a higher range/register, but not as high as when I was a soprano (prior to puberty).

Back in my salad days I used to brag I could hit any note sung in a rock song including Steven Tyler's outrageous screams in Dream On. Now that I am a older all my years of smoking has caught up with me and my high register is completely gone. Smoking ruined my voice. ???

Actually I could not sign any note sung in a rock song. I realized that 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight' by the Tokens with Anita Darian singing a very high operatic part in the background. And Minnie Riperton sang some notes from the stratosphere in 'Lovin' You'. So it was only parts sung by males that I could sing. 

Vocal range does diminish with age even for pros like Groban. My first voice teacher in college had been an operatic tenor, but when I had him he was just a high baritone. Still knew all about breathing and phrasing though. I learned a lot in those two semesters. I was not a music major, but I like to sing.

Not only age, but lack of vocal exercise will make it difficult to reach those higher notes as we age.  The DW and I did a fair amount of singing prior to purchasing our first RV.  When we started RVing, I was 65 years old and my singing voice was still pretty much intact.  Today, after a 10 year break, when I sing along in the car, my wife just gives me that look.  That's when I know it's time to shut up.  :-[

garyb1st said:
Not only age, but lack of vocal exercise will make it difficult to reach those higher notes as we age. 
You are correct but that is not my problem. I have never lacked vocal exercise. I sing a lot. It is really a bummer when your brain writes checks your body can't cash anymore. ??? :-[

garyb1st said:
Not only age, but lack of vocal exercise will make it difficult to reach those higher notes as we age.  The DW and I did a fair amount of singing prior to purchasing our first RV.  When we started RVing, I was 65 years old and my singing voice was still pretty much intact.  Today, after a 10 year break, when I sing along in the car, my wife just gives me that look.  That's when I know it's time to shut up.  :-[
I know when I actively practice for range, my range does increase. However I really don?t sing enough anymore to make it worthwhile. Church choir when at home, sometimes pop up choirs, and lots of singing to the radio, but none of those make big demands on my voice. I am a second soprano that used to have a range of E below middle C to G an octave and a half above middle C, or 2 1/2 octaves. Now I do G to E comfortably. My church choir director knows I have perhaps 5 high Gs a day, and she better be careful when she asks for them! I still have a good tone, but I just don?t have the range anymore.

Back
Top Bottom