EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Washington, DC  (Read 1147 times)

Oldgator73

• ---
Washington, DC
« on: July 14, 2018, 06:49:36 PM »
Returning from Shenandoah NP today and was routed through downtown DC. Hate pulling RV through DC. Got hung up in traffic at the tolls for the Bay Bridge for about 30-45 minutes. Other than that, great trip.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

HappyWanderer

• ---
Re: Washington, DC
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 06:53:57 PM »
I just got back to Connecticut from Virginia today. You couldn't pay me to go through DC!
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 07:02:03 PM »
Gotta watch those GPS routes - just because a route is the shortest on the map doesn't mean you want to go there.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 11:10:25 PM »
Two true GPS stories:

On a trip to visit our son, the GPS map did not know the major N S thoroughfare close to his house was completed to his road.  It tried everything it could to reroute me on an unnecessary detour.

In a trip to Hickman, KY, the GPS took me down a state hwy, to a good county road, to a questionable county road, which then paralleled a creek - dirt road - for 10 miles.  This portion frequently floods!  Thankfully, this was July.  When I finally got back to paved road, I was ¼ mile from my destination.
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Progressive HW50C
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4   TST TMS  Garmin 760
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 11:31:12 PM »
Gotta watch those GPS routes - just because a route is the shortest on the map doesn't mean you want to go there.

...which is why I like Google Maps (run from a smartphone) so much better now, with the automatic re-routing and other suggestions it makes based on traffic conditions, road construction slowdowns, etc. But even that technology isn't foolproof. Recently on a non-RV trip from IL up to WI, Google repeatedly informed us that a major interstate highway was closed due to construction. I saw lots of construction indicators but never any signs or detours regarding a complete closure of the interstate. We took a 10-15 mile "side roads" detour suggested by Google (along with a convoy of other cars that were undoubtedly using the same technology) and got back on the interstate. On the way home we decided to ignore Google and stayed on the interstate... some reduced lanes, etc. but no closures. I can't figure out where it got that faulty data.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 06:22:49 AM »
I have had GPS tell me to take a longer route several times..

WIth GPS you gotta use BRAIN and occasionally override.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 07:56:11 AM »
I have had GPS tell me to take a longer route several times..

WIth GPS you gotta use BRAIN and occasionally override.

My wife often overrides the GPS.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 08:18:57 AM »
I only use GPS to confirm my present location. Routes are mapped out in advance, with turns and landmarks written down for the navigator to follow.
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 08:37:14 AM »
I have some first hand knowledge of a couple situations that drive Navigation systems bonkers.  They all involve roads that show on a city or county plat map but no longer physically exist. The city/county still owns the right-of-way but does use them for active roadways, but the NAv software doesn't know that (yet).  The plat map data is collected by a couple major companies and licensed out to near all the map & nav software apps & GPS systems, but they simply cannot verify that every road actually exists, at least not on a timely basis.  Google Earth does the best at actually driving and photographing highways and byways, but even they are often a few years out of date in places.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 09:52:02 AM »
Or  the opposite  when the software  isn't updated with new roads  yet.  It's  always funny when the screen  shows you driving through blank space and the device has no idea what directional advice to give!

Google Earth does the best at actually driving and photographing highways and byways, but even they are often a few years out of date in places.

My youngest son (8) reported that the camera-laden "Googlemobile" drove slowly through our neighborhood a couple days ago... small village, population 600. He and his friend were excited they might be visible on the new Streetview photos. :)
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 10:05:48 AM »
We have our motorhome stored in a place very close to our house where the Apple mapping vehicles were staying. Each day 6 of them would pull out, and each evening they would pull back in. I am sure they were surveying the surrounding rural areas. We did wave to one going down our street. It isn’t on any of the maps since the first houses were only finished last year. Maybe I will see myself on the maps when they get done!

And as someone who worked on military GPS units, remember the GPS satellites only give current position. Everything else - maps, routing - is the responsibility of the navigation system manufacturer. The satellites are never the issue when nav units go wrong. Drives the academic nerd in me nuts when people blame “GPS” for nav errors. Ok, off soap box now 😉
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2018 Tiffin 37PA
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk toad
https://toobusyforwork.com

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 10:38:47 AM »
The satellites are never the issue when nav units go wrong. Drives the academic nerd in me nuts when people blame “GPS” for nav errors.

That's true, Pam. I sympathize. But to most folks "GPS" means the device that shows the map, provides me directions, and uses satellites to determine position, not just the satellites and receiver (a small part of the "device") alone, thus you continue to get irritated by the excessive expectations by the folks who know no better. There are many other cases where those of us with specialized knowledge get similarly irritated by the "general usage" folks. Aviation and ham radio, even photography, just to name a few that bug me, have a similar lack of general understanding.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 10:46:40 AM »
. On the way home we decided to ignore Google and stayed on the interstate... some reduced lanes, etc. but no closures. I can't figure out where it got that faulty data.

Here is the back up Diane uses Scott. If there is any questions, she goes to the Waze app on her phone. Waze is updated by the people on the road at the time, and your information is more current. She loves Google Maps as well, and now we use it in the U-Connect system in the Jeep 7" dash display.  But sometimes you gotta have a backup. 
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 11:16:45 AM »
As we were driving on I think either 395 or 295 the GPS tells me to be in the right lane to exit on Pennsylvania Ave.  No sign for Pennsylvania Ave. so then GPS says to take exit 3B to Howard St then take the ramp on the left.  Took the ramp and the GPS shut down. Saw 50 North to Annapolis, home free until we hit traffic for the Bay Bridge. Why are folks such a..holes when it comes to merging?
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

Pugapooh

• ---
  • Wanna buy a truck?
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2018, 11:33:25 AM »
Glad you made it through D.C. It sure sent you the worst route it could.

Merging?  Yes,people are a$$holes.  Nobody wants to be behind an RV.  And people around here are just "me first" kind of people.  Can't grasp an alternate merge concept.
2006 Dutchmen Denali 29 RL fiver
2006 Dodge 2500 Big Horn
2001 GMC Sierra 3500

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2018, 12:00:26 PM »
Gator: small world, we were on the Bay Bridge yesterday as well. We lucked out on traffic there, but made up for it on the Tappen Zee.

Dream Chasers

• ---
  • Be Brave - Take Risks - Nothing Beats Experience
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2018, 07:03:26 PM »
Google always wants you to enter a destination via a right turn. We havevbern several times to a campground in St Augustine. From I-95 the campground is down a couple miles on the left. It even has a left turn lane and a traffic light. However, Google wants you to go through the light a half mile, make a U turn so that you can turn right into the park. Becauee of this, Sheryl zooms in on the map to see what the directions are wanting us to do. Then we decide if it looks right or should we override and ignore.
Sheryl & Bobby and Roxie the Yorkie
Polk City, Florida
2015 Forest River Berkshire 34QS
2011 Honda CRV SE

BruceinFL

• ---
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2018, 11:39:09 AM »
1st: GPS map data is 6 mo + old by the time the mapping software is updated, so new roads, closures, etc. may not be in the map.

2nd:  Paper maps are not obsolete. Always use them to confirm the GPS routing.
Bruce A.
2004 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK 5W
2005 Ford F-350 SRW 6.0L

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2018, 04:51:40 PM »
1st: GPS map data is 6 mo + old by the time the mapping software is updated, so new roads, closures, etc. may not be in the map.

2nd:  Paper maps are not obsolete. Always use them to confirm the GPS routing.
Really, paper maps are always correct and never get obsolete? I Wouldn’t trust paper maps to have new roads, road closures, construction or traffic. Paper maps could be outdated as soon as they’re printed. Not saying I trust my GPS either.   :-\
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2018, 05:45:22 PM »
Some of the best times we’ve experienced were when we were lost.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

cadee2c

• ---
  • Follow your arrow wherever it points
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2018, 10:46:24 PM »
My google maps took us into a cow pasture last summer in Oklahoma.

Google always wants you to enter a destination via a right turn.

That explains alot. Why do they do that though. Seems kinda stupid to me.

Caryl- Pilot
Bob- Navigator
Mister Hank - homeland security

1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2010 Jeep Liberty

May the Llama of Happiness forever spit in your direction

JudyJB

• ---
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2018, 01:11:32 AM »
Got to be careful overriding your GPS, however.  A couple of years ago, I decided to skip the freeway route, turn off the GPS, and take a more "scenic" route.  At one point on a two-lane, a pickup was following me closely and flashing lights and honking.  Finally, I figured out it wanted me to pull over, which I did.  The man, who had his young son with him, yelled out of the pickup window that there was a low bridge ahead and the sign was down!!  ( could see it laying along the route near where I had pulled over.) So, I thanked him, turned my GPS back on and headed back the way I had come to a much safer route.

The pickup driver had noticed me turning down the road several miles back.  It was extremely nice of them to go so far out of their way to warn me. 
Full-timing for over six years in a
2012 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 31N

blw2

• ---
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2018, 10:43:44 AM »
this thread reminds me of the time we were heading to an unfamiliar state park in GA (general coffee SP).  We were arriving after dark and it was raining and storming hard.  Google took us to the park alright.... to a dead end rural road that ended somewhere along the park perimeter, just not at the point where the entrance was.  Bounded by ditches and no cul de sac or turn around I ended up doing a turn....probably 18 points or more, but I got out eventually.  If DW had been driving I likely would have been looking forward on the map to catch the error long before...but she doesn't play that way, does not like to navigate at all.  Anyway, I reported that one to Google.  i hope they fixed it.

...which is why I like Google Maps (run from a smartphone) so much better now, with the automatic re-routing and other suggestions it makes based on traffic conditions, road construction slowdowns, etc. But even that technology isn't foolproof. Recently on a non-RV trip from IL up to WI, Google repeatedly informed us that a major interstate highway was closed due to construction. I saw lots of construction indicators but never any signs or detours regarding a complete closure of the interstate. We took a 10-15 mile "side roads" detour suggested by Google (along with a convoy of other cars that were undoubtedly using the same technology) and got back on the interstate. On the way home we decided to ignore Google and stayed on the interstate... some reduced lanes, etc. but no closures. I can't figure out where it got that faulty data.

During a group caravan once, i found out with certainty that google doesn't re-route everyone on the same detour.  It'll leave some folks on the original route, and do multiple alternates for others.
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
’13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

BruceinFL

• ---
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2018, 10:54:49 AM »
Really, paper maps are always correct and never get obsolete? I Wouldn’t trust paper maps to have new roads, road closures, construction or traffic. Paper maps could be outdated as soon as they’re printed. Not saying I trust my GPS either.   :-\

What I meant was that paper maps should be used in conjunction with the GPS to plan/confirm routing. Don't throw the paper maps in the recycling bin yet. :)
Bruce A.
2004 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK 5W
2005 Ford F-350 SRW 6.0L

darsben

• ---
  • Retired seeing the USA
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2018, 01:47:00 PM »
But the state puts out a new map every year. Some people never update their GPS. 
1990 Fleetwood Southwind on P30 chassis located in
Central NY in summer and beautiful Casa Grande AZ in winter

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2018, 05:59:11 PM »
Some people never update their GPS.
True. It’s a PITB to update. We update ours every couple of months. It takes a good two hours or more and a lot of data. I usually wait until we have good WiFi and then run it late evening or overnight.
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

spencerpj

• ---
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2018, 06:57:10 AM »
I use Google maps, it definitely has it's hiccups.  Last month, I was pulling a trailer out 70W to Wichita, it rerouted me to save me 9 minutes.  Okay, but what it didn't say is that would cost me an extra $11 in tolls.  grrr

I will admit, it has rerouted me several times saving me much time, so I guess you take the good with the bad.

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2018, 07:53:17 AM »
Here is the back up Diane uses Scott. If there is any questions, she goes to the Waze app on her phone. Waze is updated by the people on the road at the time, and your information is more current. She loves Google Maps as well, and now we use it in the U-Connect system in the Jeep 7" dash display.  But sometimes you gotta have a backup.

Waze has been rerouting cars and trucks, even semi's past our house.....we live on a dirt road, only wide enough for cars to pass if the other stops,  so if you can imagine a dirt/dust cloud taller than the big pines andover 500 feet wide. That is us in the middle somewhere.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

cerd

• ---
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2018, 01:46:06 PM »
I use Google maps, it definitely has it's hiccups.  Last month, I was pulling a trailer out 70W to Wichita, it rerouted me to save me 9 minutes.  Okay, but what it didn't say is that would cost me an extra $11 in tolls.  grrr

I will admit, it has rerouted me several times saving me much time, so I guess you take the good with the bad.

Did you select the "Avoid Tolls" option?
1990 Chevy G30 Gulfstream Ultra Class C
350TBI

spencerpj

• ---
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2018, 02:10:52 PM »
Did you select the "Avoid Tolls" option?

No, I expected to pay tolls, but first go around, it routed me on a bypass, and did not connect me to the Kansas Turnpike until 1/2 way to Wichita.  When she rerouted me, it sent me through Kansas City and started the Turnpike (tollroad) much sooner.  I could have 'Declined' but at the time it was torrential downpour, and it seems that the defaul with Google maps is: ReRoute automatically unless you decline. Maybe I'm not doing something right ?