Washington, DC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldgator73

Returning from Shenandoah NP today and was routed through downtown DC. Hate pulling RV through DC. Got hung up in traffic at the tolls for the Bay Bridge for about 30-45 minutes. Other than that, great trip.

I just got back to Connecticut from Virginia today. You couldn't pay me to go through DC!

Two true GPS stories:

On a trip to visit our son, the GPS map did not know the major N S thoroughfare close to his house was completed to his road.  It tried everything it could to reroute me on an unnecessary detour.

In a trip to Hickman, KY, the GPS took me down a state hwy, to a good county road, to a questionable county road, which then paralleled a creek - dirt road - for 10 miles.  This portion frequently floods!  Thankfully, this was July.  When I finally got back to paved road, I was ? mile from my destination.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Gotta watch those GPS routes - just because a route is the shortest on the map doesn't mean you want to go there.

...which is why I like Google Maps (run from a smartphone) so much better now, with the automatic re-routing and other suggestions it makes based on traffic conditions, road construction slowdowns, etc. But even that technology isn't foolproof. Recently on a non-RV trip from IL up to WI, Google repeatedly informed us that a major interstate highway was closed due to construction. I saw lots of construction indicators but never any signs or detours regarding a complete closure of the interstate. We took a 10-15 mile "side roads" detour suggested by Google (along with a convoy of other cars that were undoubtedly using the same technology) and got back on the interstate. On the way home we decided to ignore Google and stayed on the interstate... some reduced lanes, etc. but no closures. I can't figure out where it got that faulty data.

I only use GPS to confirm my present location. Routes are mapped out in advance, with turns and landmarks written down for the navigator to follow.

I have some first hand knowledge of a couple situations that drive Navigation systems bonkers.  They all involve roads that show on a city or county plat map but no longer physically exist. The city/county still owns the right-of-way but does use them for active roadways, but the NAv software doesn't know that (yet).  The plat map data is collected by a couple major companies and licensed out to near all the map & nav software apps & GPS systems, but they simply cannot verify that every road actually exists, at least not on a timely basis.  Google Earth does the best at actually driving and photographing highways and byways, but even they are often a few years out of date in places.

Or  the opposite  when the software  isn't updated with new roads  yet.  It's  always funny when the screen  shows you driving through blank space and the device has no idea what directional advice to give!

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Google Earth does the best at actually driving and photographing highways and byways, but even they are often a few years out of date in places.

My youngest son (8) reported that the camera-laden "Googlemobile" drove slowly through our neighborhood a couple days ago... small village, population 600. He and his friend were excited they might be visible on the new Streetview photos. :)

We have our motorhome stored in a place very close to our house where the Apple mapping vehicles were staying. Each day 6 of them would pull out, and each evening they would pull back in. I am sure they were surveying the surrounding rural areas. We did wave to one going down our street. It isn?t on any of the maps since the first houses were only finished last year. Maybe I will see myself on the maps when they get done!

And as someone who worked on military GPS units, remember the GPS satellites only give current position. Everything else - maps, routing - is the responsibility of the navigation system manufacturer. The satellites are never the issue when nav units go wrong. Drives the academic nerd in me nuts when people blame ?GPS? for nav errors. Ok, off soap box now ?

The satellites are never the issue when nav units go wrong. Drives the academic nerd in me nuts when people blame ?GPS? for nav errors.

That's true, Pam. I sympathize. But to most folks "GPS" means the device that shows the map, provides me directions, and uses satellites to determine position, not just the satellites and receiver (a small part of the "device") alone, thus you continue to get irritated by the excessive expectations by the folks who know no better. There are many other cases where those of us with specialized knowledge get similarly irritated by the "general usage" folks. Aviation and ham radio, even photography, just to name a few that bug me, have a similar lack of general understanding.

scottydl said:
. On the way home we decided to ignore Google and stayed on the interstate... some reduced lanes, etc. but no closures. I can't figure out where it got that faulty data.

Here is the back up Diane uses Scott. If there is any questions, she goes to the Waze app on her phone. Waze is updated by the people on the road at the time, and your information is more current. She loves Google Maps as well, and now we use it in the U-Connect system in the Jeep 7" dash display.  But sometimes you gotta have a backup. 

As we were driving on I think either 395 or 295 the GPS tells me to be in the right lane to exit on Pennsylvania Ave.  No sign for Pennsylvania Ave. so then GPS says to take exit 3B to Howard St then take the ramp on the left.  Took the ramp and the GPS shut down. Saw 50 North to Annapolis, home free until we hit traffic for the Bay Bridge. Why are folks such a..holes when it comes to merging?

Glad you made it through D.C. It sure sent you the worst route it could.

Merging?  Yes,people are a$$holes.  Nobody wants to be behind an RV.  And people around here are just "me first" kind of people.  Can't grasp an alternate merge concept.

Gator: small world, we were on the Bay Bridge yesterday as well. We lucked out on traffic there, but made up for it on the Tappen Zee.

Google always wants you to enter a destination via a right turn. We havevbern several times to a campground in St Augustine. From I-95 the campground is down a couple miles on the left. It even has a left turn lane and a traffic light. However, Google wants you to go through the light a half mile, make a U turn so that you can turn right into the park. Becauee of this, Sheryl zooms in on the map to see what the directions are wanting us to do. Then we decide if it looks right or should we override and ignore.

1st: GPS map data is 6 mo + old by the time the mapping software is updated, so new roads, closures, etc. may not be in the map.

2nd:  Paper maps are not obsolete. Always use them to confirm the GPS routing.

1st: GPS map data is 6 mo + old by the time the mapping software is updated, so new roads, closures, etc. may not be in the map.

2nd:  Paper maps are not obsolete. Always use them to confirm the GPS routing.
Really, paper maps are always correct and never get obsolete? I Wouldn?t trust paper maps to have new roads, road closures, construction or traffic. Paper maps could be outdated as soon as they?re printed. Not saying I trust my GPS either.  :-\

Back
Top Bottom