Washington, DC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My google maps took us into a cow pasture last summer in Oklahoma.

Google always wants you to enter a destination via a right turn.

That explains alot. Why do they do that though. Seems kinda stupid to me.

Got to be careful overriding your GPS, however.  A couple of years ago, I decided to skip the freeway route, turn off the GPS, and take a more "scenic" route.  At one point on a two-lane, a pickup was following me closely and flashing lights and honking.  Finally, I figured out it wanted me to pull over, which I did.  The man, who had his young son with him, yelled out of the pickup window that there was a low bridge ahead and the sign was down!!  ( could see it laying along the route near where I had pulled over.) So, I thanked him, turned my GPS back on and headed back the way I had come to a much safer route.

The pickup driver had noticed me turning down the road several miles back.  It was extremely nice of them to go so far out of their way to warn me. 

this thread reminds me of the time we were heading to an unfamiliar state park in GA (general coffee SP).  We were arriving after dark and it was raining and storming hard.  Google took us to the park alright.... to a dead end rural road that ended somewhere along the park perimeter, just not at the point where the entrance was.  Bounded by ditches and no cul de sac or turn around I ended up doing a turn....probably 18 points or more, but I got out eventually.  If DW had been driving I likely would have been looking forward on the map to catch the error long before...but she doesn't play that way, does not like to navigate at all.  Anyway, I reported that one to Google.  i hope they fixed it.

scottydl said:
...which is why I like Google Maps (run from a smartphone) so much better now, with the automatic re-routing and other suggestions it makes based on traffic conditions, road construction slowdowns, etc. But even that technology isn't foolproof. Recently on a non-RV trip from IL up to WI, Google repeatedly informed us that a major interstate highway was closed due to construction. I saw lots of construction indicators but never any signs or detours regarding a complete closure of the interstate. We took a 10-15 mile "side roads" detour suggested by Google (along with a convoy of other cars that were undoubtedly using the same technology) and got back on the interstate. On the way home we decided to ignore Google and stayed on the interstate... some reduced lanes, etc. but no closures. I can't figure out where it got that faulty data.

During a group caravan once, i found out with certainty that google doesn't re-route everyone on the same detour.  It'll leave some folks on the original route, and do multiple alternates for others.

Dragginourbedaround said:
Really, paper maps are always correct and never get obsolete? I Wouldn?t trust paper maps to have new roads, road closures, construction or traffic. Paper maps could be outdated as soon as they?re printed. Not saying I trust my GPS either.  :-\

What I meant was that paper maps should be used in conjunction with the GPS to plan/confirm routing. Don't throw the paper maps in the recycling bin yet. :)

Dragginourbedaround said:
Really, paper maps are always correct and never get obsolete? I Wouldn?t trust paper maps to have new roads, road closures, construction or traffic. Paper maps could be outdated as soon as they?re printed. Not saying I trust my GPS either.  :-\
But the state puts out a new map every year. Some people never update their GPS. 

Some people never update their GPS.
True. It?s a PITB to update. We update ours every couple of months. It takes a good two hours or more and a lot of data. I usually wait until we have good WiFi and then run it late evening or overnight.

I use Google maps, it definitely has it's hiccups.  Last month, I was pulling a trailer out 70W to Wichita, it rerouted me to save me 9 minutes.  Okay, but what it didn't say is that would cost me an extra $11 in tolls.  grrr

I will admit, it has rerouted me several times saving me much time, so I guess you take the good with the bad.

SargeW said:
Here is the back up Diane uses Scott. If there is any questions, she goes to the Waze app on her phone. Waze is updated by the people on the road at the time, and your information is more current. She loves Google Maps as well, and now we use it in the U-Connect system in the Jeep 7" dash display.  But sometimes you gotta have a backup.

Waze has been rerouting cars and trucks, even semi's past our house.....we live on a dirt road, only wide enough for cars to pass if the other stops,  so if you can imagine a dirt/dust cloud taller than the big pines andover 500 feet wide. That is us in the middle somewhere.

spencerpj said:
I use Google maps, it definitely has it's hiccups.  Last month, I was pulling a trailer out 70W to Wichita, it rerouted me to save me 9 minutes.  Okay, but what it didn't say is that would cost me an extra $11 in tolls.  grrr

I will admit, it has rerouted me several times saving me much time, so I guess you take the good with the bad.

Did you select the "Avoid Tolls" option?

cerd said:
Did you select the "Avoid Tolls" option?

No, I expected to pay tolls, but first go around, it routed me on a bypass, and did not connect me to the Kansas Turnpike until 1/2 way to Wichita.  When she rerouted me, it sent me through Kansas City and started the Turnpike (tollroad) much sooner.  I could have 'Declined' but at the time it was torrential downpour, and it seems that the defaul with Google maps is: ReRoute automatically unless you decline. Maybe I'm not doing something right ?

Funny.
I never go on a trip before I have planned it out, then Flown suspect parts on Google Earth and then put waypoints into my GPS. I never put the whole trip in as one piece. If the GPS tries to take me on a different route I will over ride it.
For example my Tom Tom used to try and take me from Columbus, Oh to Cincinnati via I 70 to I675 to I 75 which is worse to me than the almost straight shot I 71. Never figured out why but I no longer have that unit anymore. I would do other weird things at times as well

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom