Replacing green propane canisters with hose adapter - frustration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Punomatic

I get tired of paying exorbitant prices for the one pound propane canisters for my gas grill, so I bought a Tee fitting for my propane tank and an adapter hose that screws on in place of the canister. I have only used this setup once, but my impression was that the fire didn't get as hot with the hose as it did with the canister.

My Tee comes directly off the tank, upstream from the regulator for the house gas. The hose is 10' long. The tank was full when I used this setup. I can't come up with an explanation for the fire being cooler. I only know it was cooler because I generally cook meat by setting the heat level and then timing the cooking. This time, I had to increase both the heat setting and the time in order to finish dinner.

Am I nuts, or is there a good explanation for why the system doesn't work the same on a 20# tank with a hose as it does on a 1# canister? Is the pressure high enough in the canisters to make this difference? There were no kinks in the hose, BTW.

Thanks in advance for your replies. I look forward to learning the error of my ways.

I had that problem with the first hose I bought. It was a cheap one and I couldnt get the hose tight enough on the tank to get the full flow of gas from the tank.  A new hose fixed the problem, and not a cheap one this time.

Here is another option - refill the green tanks.  Here is an adapter.  Lots of you tube videos on how to use the adapter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Propane-Refill-Adapter-Lp-Gas-1-Lb-Cylinder-Tank-Coupler-Heater-Bottles-Coleman/121176095084?epid=530089743&hash=item1c36a8796c%3Ag%3A6T8AAOxyWiRSNG-B&_sacat=0&_nkw=Propane+Refill+Adapter&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

Refilling the green bottles just might work.  Or you can just keep it the way it is and cook things a little slower.  That's how I deal with it.

If I'm reading your first post correctly, you have a grill with it's own built in regulator and are supplying it with propane from the regulated side of your RV system. That generally doesn't work well. You either need to tap into the high pressure side of the RV system, or modify the grill to remove the regulator.

kdbgoat said:
If I'm reading your first post correctly, you have a grill with it's own built in regulator and are supplying it with propane from the regulated side of your RV system. That generally doesn't work well. You either need to tap into the high pressure side of the RV system, or modify the grill to remove the regulator.

The OP said "My Tee comes directly off the tank, upstream from the regulator for the house gas".

So he did  :)) That's what happens when I answer before I am fully awake. ;D

I did that for years both with a cheap extension, followed by a better one.  I did find that occasionally the internal regulator did not function well, and I needed to shut the propane, then open it again, problem solved.

Ed

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom