Arlington - Need info for trip next year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill N

We are thinking we would like to visit Arlington National Cemetery (our future homes) sometime next spring or summer and could use some advice on best campgrounds or capitol tours which include the cemetery.  We would have a toad so could make the cemetery a separate trip if necessary but it would be nice to hook up with a company that gives good tours of DC also.  Maybe even service from the campground or a nearby point.  Just a thought.  Any advice appreciated.

Bill

We did DC last year whilst on a road trip from New York to Vegas, sadly not in an RV but by car. so cannot comment on camp grounds as we stayed in a hotel.

The things we liked bast where

Segway tour, really easy to use and a real good informative tour We used this company https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/AttractionProductDetail-g28970-d11449736-Washington_DC_Segway_Tour-Washington_DC_District_of_Columbia.html

Duck tour, really good fun, a good laugh with great guides ( I even got to drive the duck whilst on the water) https://www.dcducks.com/

We toured the Cemetery by ourselves and to be honest we missed nothing as we did our research first as to where things are and how to get to them, It is massive so expect to walk for a while but its a really nice walk.

Thats about all I can tell you at the moment, but it is a lovely city, well the bits we seen where.

Thanks Spike and Pugapooh.  If I read those CG rates right, we better start stocking the piggy bank right quick.....lol

Bill

Here's a little background for when you're at Arlington.  About 1941 we were stationed at Fort Myers and lived on "Officers Row" at 26A Lee Avenue, just three houses from the Arlington gate.  I was about three at the time and loved seeing the "horkies" go by pulling their caissons.  Of course, I was so young I didn't understand the significance of what I was seeing.  I was about 50 when we were talking with Mother and she said "...when you and Doris would talk with FDR."  What???  Me talk to the President of the United States?  I was flabbergasted, but my older sister confirmed the story.  Her best friend was the cemetery caretaker's granddaughter and they lived on the grounds.  After hours we kids would play among the headstones (sorry for that).  After a busy day the President would be driven to the cemetery for some quiet time.  My sister said she clearly remembered the first time they met.  A big black limo came by and FDR rolled down the rear window and asked her name.  She said Doris Finney and he said he was Franklin Roosevelt.  She said he knew all of our names and always stopped to chat.  Sometimes Gen. George Marshall was with him.  Wow!

Mother also recalled "calling on" Mrs. Roosevelt at the White House.  All officers' wives were expected to do that.  She walked up the driveway and knocked on the front door.  It was opened by a butler who took her information and presented a small silver tray on which she placed her calling card.  Those cards were used to invite ladies to have tea with the First Lady.  It was a different era!

ArdraF

Bill N said:
Thanks Spike and Pugapooh.  If I read those CG rates right, we better start stocking the piggy bank right quick.....lol

Bill
True, but if you stay there the only driving you have to do is to the metro station about 5 miles away. Metro will get you anywhere you want to go. Also, Cherry hill has some nice tours available.You can take bus from campground to metro, but driving is faster.
We've stayed there for the last 2 years. They also have a guy that will wash and wax RV at your siteMerrill

Bill,

Since you said your future home I am assuming you are previously in the Military.  If you have your ID card I suggest you stay at Fort Belvoir at their RV park.  It is on the Post and you register through MWR. https://belvoir.armymwr.com/programs/recreational-lodging-travel-camp

You can either drive into to DC or take the Metro (subway).  There is soooo much to see and do in DC there is no way to give you an over view or give you a must see opinions.  There is nothing you will see or do that will disappoint.

Next April we are staying at Pohick Bay Regional Park Campground. We haven't researched getting around yet, but are planning on finding the nearest Metro to go into the city. The last time we visited DC we bought the 3 day Trolly pass. Lots of good info when on the trolly and you hop on/off anytime you want. You can ride any of the routes for maximum coverage of the city. Don't miss the National Cathedral tour. It is amazing and beautiful.

https://www.getyourguide.com/s/?q=Washington%2C%20DC&et=15347&p=1

WOW lots of good info coming in and thank you folks for taking the time.  I am trying to build up a file of websites and other info and you are helping me fill it up fast.  Looks like no problem find tours to places we want to go but I may be somewhat limited as I am on oxygen when walking and sometimes use a  walker as a place to take a short sitdown but I see no problem in doing some of the things we want.  Ft Belvoir may be the right place to use the RV campground.  Thanks again to all responding.

Bill

We stayed at Cherry Hill for a week and took a two day Grayline tour.

https://graylinedc.com/tours/washington-dc/two-day-washington-dc-grand-tour-8984_1/ 

Really nice.

Pohick Bay Regional Park is directly across Tompkins Basin from Fort Belvoir - you can see one from the other just looking across the water.  The closest Metro to both is the Springfield station and its about 20 minutes away.  From the Springfield metro to downtown DC is maybe a 45 minute ride with all the station stops in between.

Back
Top Bottom