Always good to brush up on bear etiquette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Len and Jo

I think 'B' owners might be more prone to remote camp in remote areas then the larger rigs that most the time desire or need electrical hook-ups.  That is the kind of camping  we do at least. And of course a refresher is also good day hikers. You are camped w your RV and just want to take a walk in the woods.  Last bear attack I remember reading about was about a women walking down her driveway in a wooded area to get the morning paper.  Turned out a mama bear was on one side of the driveway and her two cubs were on the other.  The woman lived but had lots of cuts, punchers and broken bones.

I think this is a good refresher video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMMau2RM_A4

Thanks Len. Methinks we'll stay out of bear country.

Thanks Len & Jo.  We are in bear country and I am always wary.  I have the bear spray at the ready and my partner thinks it is funny but I know that if a bear came anywhere near he would be terrified!

I saw a video recently of a bear running out of the bushes towards a guy and charging.  That really gave me a good idea of what could happen.  I have had a look but can't find the video but if I do I will come back and post it.  The speed was amazing!

A guy walks into this sporting goods store in Alaska,
immediately spies a rather haggard-looking old salt of
a store clerk sitting by the cash register.

"Hear ya got a lotta' bears 'round here?"

"Yep," answers the clerk.

"Big bears?"

"Yep."

"Mean bears?"

"Yep."

"Black bears?"

"Yep."

"GRIZZLIES???!"

"Yep."

"Got any bear bells?"

"What's dat?"

"You know, them little dingle-bells ya put
on yer backpack so bears know yer in
the perimiter so's they can runs away..."

"Yep. Over yonder..."

"Great. I'll take one fer black bears, and one fer grizzlies.

Say, how'd you know if yer in black bear country anyway?"

"Look fer scatt."

"Oh. Well, how how'd you know if there's GRIZZLIES???!"

"Look fer scatt."

"You just said that!"

"Yeah. But grizzly scatt's different."

"Well now, just what's IN grizzly scatt that's different?"

"Bear bells."

We're in bear country for a few weeks.  A brown bear visited one of our neighbors last night.  We make lots of noise when walking anywhere. 

And I make sure I have someone I can outrun with me at all times.

I spent ten years full timing and hiking on a daily basis looking for birds to photograph in the woods. I have ran into plenty of bears. They never bother me in the least. They are not interested in humans, they are only looking for a meal and bears do not eat humans. They might attack you if you come in between mama and cubs but other than that every bear I have ran into is going the other direction. They really don't want anything to do with us. I worry more about running into a human out in the woods.

Seilerbird, is mostly correct! But....every bear hasn’t read the book on “People Etiquette”! There are “VERY” few Bear attacts “not” related to, protected young, or a food cache! You may meet that one in a million bear.....that does’t follow the rules. Occasionally....a bear (usually a bore) will determine that a tender, slow, defenseless human will be a good food source!
  Do an internet search, and you can be given all of the do’s and don’ts, related to living with bears. But, just like in dealing with humans.....everyone doesn’t follow the expected norm!

We spend 3 or more weeks every (almost) year, camping/hunting in grizzly country. We’ve “not”  had sows with cubs in/around our campsite, and they eventually decided, “nothing to see here....move along”! We’ve had an encounter yet. The key word is “yet”! Minimize the chances for the “yet”, and be prepared to deal with the “yet”!  Just like with people!

Personally I don't care about one in a million chances. Bears are not interested in you period. All he wants is to get fatter before the snow hits.

I agree with Seilerbird. We came across this guy last September.  We made enough noise to ensure that he knew we were there. Every few minutes, he would turn and look at us, conclude that we weren't a threat, and return to eating berries. Berries are much tastier than people.

Joel

Attachments

• Griz 1.jpg
    Griz 1.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Griz 2.jpg
    Griz 2.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 18
As a wildlife photographer it was imperative that I act appropriately while in the company of wildlife of all kinds. I did 15 years of underwater photography and 15 years of wildlife on land photography. I was never hurt, attacked or bothered by any animal except for the occasional female blackbird that got disgusted with me accidentally coming too close to their nest. I studied the subject and what I discovered is that humans don't have instinctive behavior. You never really know what a human will do next. With animals it is completely different. Almost all of an animals behavior is controlled by instinct. Once you learn how to act around wildlife they simply will not hurt you. Humans are not a natural food of anything in nature beside the worms. Nothing will instinctively attack you. There are animals that will attack if you get too close, like gators. But in general if you stay a safe distance from an animal there is no chance it will come and try and eat you. I even feel safe swimming with sharks.

Except...I personally know someone who is an outfitter and very bear aware, except for that one time a couple years ago when he left his weapon and bear spray at camp.  He was attacked and mauled.  When the bear left he remained down "playing dead".  The bear returned and began throwing him around again.  The hunters he was guiding finally heard the commotion and came to his rescue.  He is physically not the same and never will be. 

kportra said:
Except...I personally know someone who is an outfitter and very bear aware, except for that one time a couple years ago when he left his weapon and bear spray at camp.  He was attacked and mauled.  When the bear left he remained down "playing dead".  The bear returned and began throwing him around again.  The hunters he was guiding finally heard the commotion and came to his rescue.  He is physically not the same and never will be.
I believe you are leaving a lot out of the story. Bears just do not go around randomly attacking people. Either he was too close to cubs or running in the forest.

Yep I think we will stay out of bear country also. I don't run fast anymore
and everyone else would outrun me.  :) :) :)

Along the same lines but not with bears.....some of you may want to brush up on your alligator etiquette also. 

Dont feed them
They arent cute little cartoon gators
They love to eat dogs...so..
a gator can come vertically out of the water almost half of its length
They can out run you or your dog for a short distance

butchiiii said:

No reason to avoid bear county....often it?s some of the most beautiful, remote areas we can enjoy! You just need to be ?Bear Aware?! And respectful of their territory.....notice I said ?their?!

butchiiii said:
You do not run from bears. That is stupid because that is what prey does and it excites predators.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom