How squeaky is your ride?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mooney 78865

We have a 2001 Infinity class A we purchased about 18 months ago. Since then we have totally redone the interior, refreshed the exterior and basically put hands on everything that could give us trouble.  The last thing, or actually last thing to be accomplished, was to get the squeaks while running down the road under control.  I am happy to say we have accomplished that!  It is strangely quiet now.  So much so, we are waiting for the other shoe to drop!  Having not ridden in another motorhome, I was curious, just how quiet are the new ones?

They might all start out quiet (when all the connections are new and tight), but it doesn't take long for road vibration to loosen screws or create other gaps that get the squeaks going.

Could you explain some of the things you did to get your rig squeak-free? Sounds like you really gave it a revitalizing!

I may be in in the minority, but I don't mind the squeaks, whether it be interior cabinet squeaks or a squeaky trailer suspension. It reminds me of being a kid and hearing our family's squeaky trailer. It brings back happy memories for me.

scottydl said:
They might all start out quiet (when all the connections are new and tight), but it doesn't take long for road vibration to loosen screws or create other gaps that get the squeaks going.

Could you explain some of the things you did to get your rig squeak-free? Sounds like you really gave it a revitalizing!
After the "remodel" it basically came down to cabinet attachments.  Four Winds uses a lot of staples to attach the cabinet fronts to the mounting frames that are screwed to the slide, walls, etc. I was able to go through the easier points and screw the bracing to the cabinets. Another source of squeaks was the slide. Especially right behind the drivers seat. A thorough lubrication didn't do much at all, so I used baby powder on the seals and wala! Quiet. Finally, the cockpit area.  The overhead as well as the "dashboard" attachments had become loose and in some cases completely missing the attachment screws.  While the interior was removed I spent a day or so adding additional bracing, installed bumpers where the walls and dash came together and generally ensured that the screws and what not were secure. (I actually thought that the slide was the culprit for some of these, when it was really the dash) It was a long process but worth the effort!  We now have a very quiet ride.
Here is the link to the remodel http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,110457.msg1044170.html#new

My new Dynamax on the Frieghtliner M2 106 chassis is more quiet than I was expecting. The engine noise is just enough that I can hear the fluctuations in the engine, and yet have a normal conversation with background music on a low volume. I had a couple of rattles that I created in packing, I fixed all of that, and now I barely hear anything from the rear of the coach. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom