rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Dog ramp advice??  (Read 769 times)

jymbee

• ---
Dog ramp advice??
« on: July 15, 2018, 10:32:23 PM »
Can't seem to find much searching here...
We need a dog ramp to help our 45 lb. dog enter our Class A more easily. He just doesn't do well with open steps plus he's not quite as spritely as he used to be (who is??).

Ideally a folding aluminum type about 8 feet long. See a number of ads for such a thing but would appreciate some input/advice from others who have already purchased and used a ramp they like and could recommend.

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Good things are illegal immoral or over 1000 watts
Re: Dog ramp advice??
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 02:47:20 AM »
I bet it might be cheaper and easier to find a local dog trainer who could train your dog to enter the RV. I bet a good trainer could do it in one session.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y0HbMU5KYa2hx02E3
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Robert K

• ---
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 03:37:43 AM »
We have used this for 5 yrs for our german sheppard about 100 lbs . Has held up good .
 I only use it on the 2 exterior steps and she hops up the interior 2 steps.

https://www.chewy.com/solvit-deluxe-telescoping-pet-ramp/dp/53678
Bob&Sandy
96 Safari Serengeti
2011 jeep wrangler
Western New York

UnclKracker

• ---
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 05:29:14 AM »
We've had 2 different ramps. The first one was similar but shorter, I had put it in the rear of the truck bed. I normally store it up close to the cab.  The wind coming off the cap of the 5th wheel sucked it out.  I like this one better anyway.  It's the $65 one
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IWYPXK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They also come as free standing, extra wide, reflective and more.
2017 Ford F250 SRW CCSB
2017 Keystone Montana High Country 305RL
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel. Gooseneck mount

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 06:41:18 AM »
How about you look at this page
Lowe's

Several ideas. Some are not going to work as they are "Open" designs. Most are wide enough but you might go with the wood end pieces and a 2x12. A hinge in the middle can be added to teh 2x12 and it shoudl still support the dog. (Use a good "Barn door" grade hinge).
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

jymbee

• ---
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 10:06:38 AM »
I bet it might be cheaper and easier to find a local dog trainer who could train your dog to enter the RV. I bet a good trainer could do it in one session.

I should have mentioned that our dog is more than willing to try and climb up, but he has some legacy issues with his hind quarters. Repaired a cruciate ligament some years ago and while he came out of it like a new dog-- and still bounces around like he's a two year old-- he just doesn't do well on stairs in general.

I wanted his first exposure to the RV to be without issues so I set up some heavy 2 by planks that I use elsewhere and put some non slip carpeting on that. He looked at it for awhile, then just climbed right up and went in.

Next step is to get him and his cat acclimated to the various noises while parked-- engine & generator running. They both love to travel in our van but I think I need to break them in gradually (in the driveway) before taking off on our first extended trip.

jymbee

• ---
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 10:07:53 AM »
Coincidentally since posting I remembered that we have several car aluminum car ramps in storage. I'll take a look at those and see if there's an easy way to adapt them to use.

How about you look at this page
Lowe's

Several ideas. Some are not going to work as they are "Open" designs. Most are wide enough but you might go with the wood end pieces and a 2x12. A hinge in the middle can be added to teh 2x12 and it shoudl still support the dog. (Use a good "Barn door" grade hinge).

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 10:29:43 AM »
We have used this for 5 yrs for our german sheppard about 100 lbs . Has held up good .

We have the same one and it has held up well for 3-years, despite being run over in the drive way by our previous travel trailer.  We use it for us and our two large Akitas to get in and out of our truck camper when we have it on the truck.  Highly recommend it.
Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki
2017 Eagle Cap 1165 Truck Camper With Tork Lift Fast Gun Tie Downs & T.L. Wobble Stoppers
2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 CC Cummins TD Dually 3:73 Gears & AISIN Tranny
Gone But not forgotten:
2014 Northwoods Snow River 246RKS &
2013 Aliner Expedition

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 10:34:51 AM »

The OP also indicated his dog has some physical considerations.  So in addition to a trainer not being able to help with physical limitations, it is also highly doubtful you can get a trainer for less than a good ramp.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 10:38:07 AM by Gizmo »
Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki
2017 Eagle Cap 1165 Truck Camper With Tork Lift Fast Gun Tie Downs & T.L. Wobble Stoppers
2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 CC Cummins TD Dually 3:73 Gears & AISIN Tranny
Gone But not forgotten:
2014 Northwoods Snow River 246RKS &
2013 Aliner Expedition

jymbee

• ---
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 10:51:05 AM »
After looking at some DYI options and the ramp mentioned by UnclKracker I ended up ordering this one. Initially thought an 8 foot ramp would be ideal but after some experimenting I think he'll do fine with this 6 foot model.

Thanks for the input!

jymbee

• ---
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 10:56:38 AM »
Not to mention the fact that if there was a training option, I'd be more than capable of doing that myself. Hired a trainer once when we first got the dog. After only a few minutes it was obvious to me that was a waste of $$$. Since then I've handled all the training. Not to say of course that in some circumstances a professional trainer might be the best option, but for your "general obedience" type stuff I think a calm patient owner can do just as well as many claiming to be trainers.

The OP also indicated his dog has some physical considerations.  So in addition to a trainer not being able to help with physical limitations, it is also highly doubtful you can get a trainer for less than a good ramp.

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 09:18:43 AM »
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2018, 10:12:05 AM »
Do to your dog's physical abilities, this probably won't do you any good, but may help others. Some dogs do well on doorsteps or steps in the house, but balk at RV steps. Some have found it's due to the steps being open at the back. They closed the area and then their dogs had no issues.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2012 Redwood 36RL
2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 10:17:16 AM »
Do to your dog's physical abilities, this probably won't do you any good, but may help others. Some dogs do well on doorsteps or steps in the house, but balk at RV steps. Some have found it's due to the steps being open at the back. They closed the area and then their dogs had no issues.

I don't know if you were talking about the steps I mentioned (reply #11) but these steps are closed in the back.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 11:27:50 AM »
I don't know if you were talking about the steps I mentioned (reply #11) but these steps are closed in the back.

Nope, standard type RV steps in general.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2012 Redwood 36RL
2016 Leprechaun 319DS

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 09:03:56 AM »
This is a timely topic... our lab mix (knocking on the door of 15 years old) also has step issues due to rear hip problems and a bit of general anxiety about the steep, open steps. Not only that, but both last year and this year one of her rear claws got caught/torn in one of the "step holes" and caused substantial bleeding. She only weighs about 35 lbs so we can lift her in and out of the RV easily enough, but she really dislikes being carried.

It does seem like a ramp would be easy enough to make with some 2x4's and textured material attached, but I guess easier portability is what the manufactured items offer.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012