Please show me how you fasten your solar panels to a trailer roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

delavan

Hi,

I would like to see how you folks are fastening your panels to the RV/Trailer without damaging the roof! Pictures are worth a thousand words!

Edit: made a slight change to title.

I used mounting brackets that are in the shape if an L.  They mount on the sides of the solar panel and the bottom is mounted onto the roof with screws. 

In order to prevent any leakage you need to use plenty of sealant under, around and on top of the bracket and screw.

Here is a picture.

Attachments

• r20160821_115254.jpg
    r20160821_115254.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 64
delavan said:
Hi,

I would like to see how you folks are fastening your panels to the RV/Trailer without damaging the roof! Pictures are worth a thousand words!

usual way for a rubber roof is to use "L" or "Z" brackets with screws and Dicor sealant

if you are implying "damage" as using screws then you will have a difficult time securing panels to a roof.

you could use an adhesive with a fiberglass or aluminum roof, but not for rubber. rubber does not have the tensile strength in a plane 90 degrees to the roof.
even if you did glue, you have no way to tell how well the rubber is secured on the roof, you could end up ripping off the rubber material under load from forward motion or braking.

Our panels are bolted to aluminium tilting mechanisms. The bases of the tilting mechanisms are attached to our fiberglass roof with toggle bolts, and sealed with Dicor. They aren't going anywhere.

Kev

Here is how I did it.  The second message in the thread shows pictures.  Cheap and effective.  While I used 6 brackets per panel, 4 per panel is lots.

Z brackets from most solar providers are VERY expensive for what you get.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,106669.0.html

As others have noted, you will have to screw it down to a wood / rubber roof.  I used butyl tape under the mounts as a sealer.  Seems to be working well.

Frank.

I see! I was reluctant to drill holes thru the roof, sounds counter-intuitive but I guess its the only way!

My single 100 Watts panel is supposed to generate 5.5 amps max in the best conditions. I only seen it going up to 2.2 in direct sunlight, no clouds...that is having it canted against the trailer. Anyway, with the very slight electrical consumption (only a few LEDs for a hour max), that setup self-regen easy. Got the panel on sale for $200 Cdn..

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/noma-100w-solar-panel-kit-0110004p.html

I started scratching the aluminum compound (all dried-up) from the roof (alu roof). Once im done fixing the existing, then I may start screwing more things on it!

Got Eternabond tape (4") and some dicor narrower tape (3/4") for all the joints. Takes forever to remove the compound. I use beer...for morale.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom