Do I have an A/C problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpencerPJ

So, I have a 20' Puma TT, with a Dometic rooftop a/c, 13.5k, Model 57915 ducted.  I leave the a/c fan 'On', in continuous mode, on low.  We prefer the continuous air movement.  The a/c compressor kicks on and off as needed and demanded by thermostat.

My issue or weirdness is:  I have only camped with this TT maybe 12 times, 3-4 day weekend trips.  On probably 8 of these trips, on occasion, the a/c fan motor stops for a second, and turns back on.  It never stops when under a load (compressor running).  It seems it occurs after a cycle load, fan runs a couple minutes, stops, then starts right back up, and carries on working fine, next time it calls for a/c, works fine.  When the fan stops, I get NO other power blip, no light flicker, nothing that implies it is a power source problem.  It has happened at several different campgrounds as well.  Really, there is no rhyme or reason for it, might happen 5 times in one day, might go 2 days without happening.

Does anyone else get quirky a/c issues like this?  Should I be concerned (moma will not be happy if a/c dies while camping)  Is there a board in the a/c that could be on the fritz?  I also have the Dometic thermostat, could that be causing this? 

Your feeedback as always is appreciated, moma is concerned, it happened a couple times this past weekend, and it was in the upper 90s.

The ol' jet mech in me would say, if it doesn't seem right, it probably isn't.  That's just to say I think you are smart for posting it here and letting the soon to be along experts help out.

A/C is one of the reasons we got an RV in the first place.

My Denali did the same thing. Found out that with the fan on low or high this is how it is supposed to work. Putting the thermostat in auto fan stops blowing a few seconds after the compressor stops and does not turn back on until the compressor starts.

Normally mine run 24x7 no stopping...

However 1 or 2 second POWER interruptions are fairly common  I call it a "Blink"  I have seen it myself many times.

If you have a Progressive Industries EMS (hard wired set to LONG delay) they will shut you down for like 3 minutes when power BLINKS. this gives the compressors time to re-set so they start normally.

ELse it can be hard on the compressor.

Another issue I had was loose screws. Some folks still think I have a few loose but the ones I'm speaking of were in the 120 volt Power distribution center.. Breakers and bus bars all had loose screws.

Don't worry about it.
It is automatically changing speeds.

Ours does that too and in looking at the manual it explains it.

Jack L

Bet you are more glad than I am that I didn?t tell you that you definitely do NOT have a problem.

FenderP said:
Bet you are more glad than I am that I didn?t tell you that you definitely do NOT have a problem.

I do feel better.  I will let moma read these posts, so that if something does quit, I can say that others have had similar circumstances and no problems  ::).  Joking aside, I appreciate the feedback. 

My TT has a folder with every manual Except the A/C. hmmm  I did read somewhere about the fan speed changing, based on how many degrees it needed to make up, something like if it was down 4 degrees or more it would automatically run on high.  So with me NOT running on Auto, and on low, maybe it just goes through a logic sequence.

This manual covers your model Dometic:

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/wp-content/uploads/oliver-university/Component_Manuals/AC_Dometic/Penguin-Brisk-Air-Installation-Operating-Manual_17591.pdf

I don't understand why it would be pausing to change speeds if set to "Low".  Why set it to Low if it's not going to stay low?  Nor can I understand why it would have to stop momentarily to change fan speed.  But if others who own Dometic a/c say theirs does it that way too, who am I to say otherwise?

spencerpj said:
I do feel better.  I will let moma read these posts, so that if something does quit, I can say that others have had similar circumstances and no problems  ::).  Joking aside, I appreciate the feedback. 

My TT has a folder with every manual Except the A/C. hmmm  I did read somewhere about the fan speed changing, based on how many degrees it needed to make up, something like if it was down 4 degrees or more it would automatically run on high.  So with me NOT running on Auto, and on low, maybe it just goes through a logic sequence.

I'm probably na?ve, but to me "on" means "on" and anything else means something is wrong.  Oversimplifying it, I guess.

Anyway, I do hope it is NOT a problem for y'all.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
This manual covers your model Dometic:

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/wp-content/uploads/oliver-university/Component_Manuals/AC_Dometic/Penguin-Brisk-Air-Installation-Operating-Manual_17591.pdf

I don't understand why it would be pausing to change speeds if set to "Low".  Why set it to Low if it's not going to stay low?  Nor can I understand why it would have to stop momentarily to change fan speed.  But if others who own Dometic a/c say theirs does it that way too, who am I to say otherwise?

Thanks for that link.

I agree, On means On, and low means; always on low.  With that said, IF there were something in the works of going south, on the fritz, what might I suspect would be a concern?

Back
Top Bottom