Huntington Beach on paved private driveway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abrown3mtg

Rare opportunity came up when I was sitting around the fire pit visiting some friends last night. He offer to let me park a class c in his large paved driveway in Huntington Beach as long as I want. I have done some research and am not finding a definitive answer as to whether or not it's legal here. Due to the space being between a tall privacy fence and the house it would be unlikely to get much attention nor be an eye sore. If you know anywhere to look, or better yet the answer that would be great!

I would love to come down here this fall for at least a few months if it seems to be viable. There is ample power in the garage circuit for 30 amp power and with access to the houses bathroom I'd minimize use of the plumbing aside from a trip every couple weeks to keep the coach in good mechanical shape vs just sitting.

Thank you!

Is the property part of a HOA?  If it is, check their rules.
Contact the code enforcement officer for the city.

Be aware that the 30 amps at the residence is undoubtedly 220 volts which would fry your electronics. Get an electrician to make a separate receptacle that is 30 amps 110 volts. You should end up with something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Connecticut-Electric-CESMPS13HR-30-Amps-120-Volt/dp/B0009R5JR8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1531830896&sr=8-6&keywords=rv+30+amp+plug

If the house is within an HOA, the HOA rules are probably more restrictive than the city or county rules, so ask them (and expect a "NO WAY! response).  If not an HOA, contact the Zoning people that has authority in that place, presumably the town or city of Huntington Beach.  However, nearly every sizable community has regulations that prohibit living in an RV outside of a designated campground.  "Living in an RV" is generally construed to mean "sleeping overnight", even for one night.  You should expect a negative response to any official inquiry. That's a far cry from "would anybody notice if I did it anyway?"  The latter is mostly a matter of the attitude of people living nearby. If somebody makes a complaint to the zoning enforcement people, they would have no choice but to enforce the rule. Otherwise, probably not...

Thank you all. It is fortunately not a part of any HOA. I'll make some inquiries this week. Short of being in a remote area, I actually couldn't imagine a better and less obtrusive option for placing a MH on a property.you could easily tuck a 30" back that the front would be near the garage door (garage isn't used for parking), the tail would be behind the house, and privacy fence would block the majority of the neighboring property side. apparently they had a friend in a 43' class a there for a few weeks with no complaints. This might actually work out!

One way to find out about local ordinances might be to call the city ordinance enforcement office and say you own an RV and are considering purchasing a home in their city but want to be sure there aren't any issues with RV parking.  You can describe the length of the driveway and how the RV would be somewhat hidden without providing a specific address that might get someone into a squabble.  Be as non-committal as possible and you might learn a lot.  Or not....  I'm guessing because of where H.B. is located that they do have anti-RV ordinances but the only way to know is to ask.

ArdraF

Abrown3mtg said:
they had a friend in a 43' class a there for a few weeks with no complaints.

If they've already had a big rig in there without complaint, I'd say do it. Worst thing that could happen is you get a violation notice of some kind and you have to leave.

Sun2Retire said:
If they've already had a big rig in there without complaint, I'd say do it. Worst thing that could happen is you get a violation notice of some kind and you have to leave.

X2. It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Back
Top Bottom