Onan fuel pump problem..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tractorken

Hi..im new to this forum and not sure if im posting this in the right spot so thanks for any help...i have a 1993 Winnebago vectra witb a Marquis 7000 generator...the generator will run 20 minutes then stop...if i take the fuel line off below the carb and filter and jump the pump to run there is no gas coming out...i took the gasline off where it comes in and put it in a gas can still nothing...i took the fuel pump completely out and removed the shut off  solenoid and tried it and still nothing...i had the fuel pump a foot above the gas can to see if it would draw..nope...when i did have it in the motorhome i could hear a different sound when gas was in the pump and it pumped alot out of the hose that hooked to the carb....so heres the real question...the fuel pump number is 149-2267...is that a gravity fed pump or mechanical...... I have got so many different answers it's unreal to the point where I don't want to spend $319 for a pump to find out it does the same thing the old one does.... someone has to have the answer LOL please help me

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ONAN-GENERATOR-FUEL-PUMP-REPLACES-CUMMINS-149-2267-1492267-ROTARY-ELECTRIC-PUMP-/231025596669

That appears to be a carter rotary vane pump which is capable of lifting a slight amount, even though they say the inlet should be flooded I have used the as much as 24" about the tank but with reduced flow.

Take the three bolt out of the top being careful when you remove the plate that you do not loose the vanes that are inserted into the rotor. Pay attention to the direction the are installed so you can reinstall them the same way. There is a screen on the inlet side that may be plugged and there may also be a pressure relief piston that will stick when ethanol has seperated and been in contact with the steel piston. Rotate the shaft by hand to see if it is stuck since separate ethanol will also cause the motor to seize especially if not used often. I have several of these pumps and have gone to a cheaper one that caused less trouble. They are great pumps for diesel or gasoline not containing ethanol.

I have several horror stories regarding these pumps even when used with a pressure regulator, wont go into it now since some people are in the belief that ethanol does no harm and in most cases it doesnt but sometimes it does. I have three of the Carter brands sitting in a crate somewhere here.

I have replaced those pumps with much cheaper ($50 approx) ACDelco or Carter inline pump and never had a problem, they are on V-8 and smaller engines.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom