Winnebago Journey ATS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sailorkane

I have a 2003 Winnebago Journey and the Automatic Transfer Switch is fried.  All 3 wires (gen, shore, output to coach) enter from one side.  Most of the replacements I see, including the one Winnebago seems to recommend (TLC 41260) seem to have inputs on one side and output on the opposite side.  That won't work without major installation headaches.  The 41260 also has some limited surge protection, which sounded attractive.  Anyone recommend an ATS replacement with: 1) all 3 wires on one side, and 2) includes some surge protection, and 3) is in the range of $2-300 or so?  Budget won't accept a $600 item right now.  Separate surge protections seem to range from $80-$400 and I have no idea why the wide range of prices?.....

Check with PPL. I just had this problem and bought one that worked. It is a Power 50 model that can be wired so that the output simply goes over the contactors to connect; all three cables enter from the  left then. Cost just under $300.

Ernie

Note that it may require longer cables since the connections are inside rather than the outside terminal board that Win uses.  Incidentally the model on my 2011 Journey has been discontinued but Amazon still catalogs it. I got the wrong one when I ordered..

Thanks, Ernie.  On mine, the current wires have very short stubs of wires coming out of the cable.  Probably a couple inches.  There is no long tail inside the ATS.  The only unit that I've found that has 3 cables on one side, and connections close to the entrance is the Lyght Elkhart LPT50BRD for about $180.  Its pretty basic, with DC relays so its quiet, and no surge control, but it looks solid and I found someone who installed one a few years ago and was happy with it.
Had a confusing electrical problem where the chassis was live and kept popping breakers, etc.  Turned out genset had crapped out.  One wire was shorted to chassis ground.  Should not have made a difference when shore power was connected and genset off, but it did.  So I believe the ATS was improperly switching and allowing the shorted genset into the circuit even when it was off.  Right now, temp fix is genset wires are all disconnected from ATS, and shore power works OK.  Chassis no longer hot.  But I want to replace the ATS to be sure.

Sailorkane said:
....Had a confusing electrical problem where the chassis was live and kept popping breakers, etc.  Turned out genset had crapped out.  One wire was shorted to chassis ground.  Should not have made a difference when shore power was connected and genset off, but it did.  ...
Holy cow, that's scary!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom