Help:Vale stem leaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

majicchuck

Went to check tire air pressure and air keeps coming out of valve stem. Can't get it to stop. Second time I've had this issue.

Replacement valve stem cores and the tool to replace them are available at just about any auto parts store. Just have an air source to re-inflate the tire once the stem is replaced. When pulling the core on an inflated tire, be aware the core can possibly come out like a rocket.

kdbgoat said:
Replacement valve stem cores and the tool to replace them are available at just about any auto parts store. Just have an air source to re-inflate the tire once the stem is replaced. When pulling the core on an inflated tire, be aware the core can possibly come out like a rocket.

Thanks! Will pick one up.

What kind of tire balancing do you have? Bead and powder balancing can cause leakages. They require special readily available cores.

When you say valve stem do you mean the valve is leaking.. Sometimes I've had to punch it down and release a time or 3..  Or it is leaking at the base.

If the base then if it is a metal stem tighten the nut. If not call your tire guy.

Also on the valve end Truck rated valve stem caps will Seal and hold 100 PSI or more.

beaverfever said:
22.5 inch tires? might stop at a tire store or truck stop and get it done for you.

Really? Please explain why? Replacing a valve core is the same process whether it's a bicycle tire or a tractor trailer.

kdbgoat said:
Replacing a valve core is the same process whether it's a bicycle tire or a tractor trailer.

Might be same process, but one might be a tad harder than the other.  All depends if you are refilling the tire with a hand pump or air hose.  ;D ??? ::)

Joking aside, wear safety glasses if you change the core yourself. 

All this available at any auto store or wallyworld
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoSjm63MpDM

kdbgoat said:
Replacement valve stem cores and the tool to replace them are available at just about any auto parts store. ............
I needed one and found they were $4.95 for a 10 pak or 100 for $20 (NAPA)  I bought the driver tool for $6 and then stopped at a tire shop.  They gladly gave me a half dozen.  Be ready for a rush of air, the faster you go the less you will have to put back in!

spencerpj said:
Might be same process, but one might be a tad harder than the other.  All depends if you are refilling the tire with a hand pump or air hose.  ;D ??? ::)

Joking aside, wear safety glasses if you change the core yourself. 

All this available at any auto store or wallyworld
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoSjm63MpDM

The video shows a torque wrench type removal tool, That's not needed. All you need is one of these. Just tighten up the core till it's tight. Put a glob of spit on the end and check for bubbles.

https://www.amazon.com/Cal-Hawk-Tools-CAPVT-4-Way/dp/B00425QX8M/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1532098506&sr=8-5&keywords=valve+core+tool

Rene T said:
All you need is one of these. Just tighten up the core till it's tight. Put a glob of spit on the end and check for bubbles.

Remember these

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 22
Rene T said:
The video shows a torque wrench type removal tool, That's not needed. All you need is one of these. Just tighten up the core till it's tight. Put a glob of spit on the end and check for bubbles.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but while we're on the subject.....
I have 3 valve core stems that are bad (leaking) on my rig. I do, however, have Alcoa double seal valve caps installed on all tires. I DO have new valve cores on hand to replace the bad ones. I just don't have enough room on the rear axle to use the tool needed to replace the leaky stem cores'. My tire pressure has been fine this last month using the Alcoa double seal valve caps though. Hope it'll be fine until I can bring them into a tire shop so they can fix the cores. Anyone else have this issue?

I've had valve cores get a bent or wobbly stem that occasionally prevents the valve from seating properly (and thus leaking). If I fiddled long enough, I could get the valve to close, but my Pressure Pro TPMS sensors also served to seal off the valve.  I eventually figured out that the pin on one of my air chucks did not mate well with the valve stem pin and would bend it sideways. I replaced that chuck (and the damaged cores) and had no further problems.

kdbgoat said:
Really? Please explain why? Replacing a valve core is the same process whether it's a bicycle tire or a tractor trailer.
sorry missed core was thinking stem

Oh if you need to replace the stem... I have .. beside me... A nice set of bent tubes called DUALLY VALVES or is it DUALY Valves. not sure which (Google won't care).

I"m planing on putting new shoes in Aug or more likely Sept. and .. they go on at the same time.

Oh how it will make adding air easier.

just curious if you use valve extenders - Those kept unscrewing the valve for me.  I bought an extra long chuck and left the valve extensions off. 

Now whenever I am having a bad day I just think how well my new valve extension free system works and it bring s a smile to my face. ;)

KandT said:
just curious if you use valve extenders - Those kept unscrewing the valve for me.  I bought an extra long chuck and left the valve extensions off. 

Now whenever I am having a bad day I just think how well my new valve extension free system works and it bring s a smile to my face. ;)

Only use extenders on duallys. I think my air chuck is bending the tip. Need to swap out for new one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom