Home Solar panel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KandT

So in an attempt to learn about solar (and teach my son) I bough a Renogy 100Watt panel, a Wanderer controller, and was planning to get an AGM battery.  I bought the cables to attach the panel to the controller and the controller to the batt.

Whoops - this should probably be its own topic but I don't know how to do that now that it is posted?? :-\

This is a sticks and bricks project with the possibility to move it over to the RV. 

Do those of you with solar think I can keep an outside light on all night?  My goal is just to keep it lightly lit with an LED and make it look secure at 3:00am - my wife likes some light around.  I am not trying to light up my yard just the sidewalk and stuff.

I was just going to get a Sams club AGM battery and not sure if I should run the wiring to the basement to keep the Batt warm in these Pennsylvania winters or is it OK to leave outside?

Would I be better off with a 12 volt LED or an inverter and 110 Volt LED?

The system is designed to be expandable to 400 Watts.

I hope I learn enough from this project to move onto bigger things. 

SO I bought an AGM battery today Group 31. 

Am I correct that since it says 105 AH at a 20 hour rate then I can get 5 amps for 20 hours until it is completely discharged.  Since I would want the AGM batt to be at worst 1/2 discharged I could USE 5 amps times 12 volts or 60 watts for 10 hours until the AGM battery was 1/2 discharged?

60 watts of LED outdoor lighting is a descent amount although I may buy another batt.  I may also have to buy another panel to get this to work.

any sage advice welcomed!

Following responses as I am also interested in integrating solar (and possibly even wind) into the mix. 

First, go with low voltage LED.  The LED only use about 3 - 5 V, so no need to convert 12 V battery to 120V with an inverter, then back to 5V for the LED.  You waste a lot of power in the conversions.

I would start with the setup you have.  LED draw very little power, so you may be fine.  Also, keep your solar charging capacity in line with the battery capacity.  No need for more battery than the solar can keep charged  or more battery than is needed for the lights it is powering.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom