Advice sought: anyone traveling with a small bird?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pedalinjoy

Hi!  I have a 3-oz Brazilian Green Cheek Conure (rescued three years ago).  He's very sweet, and he even is trained to wear a tiny halter so that I can walk with him on my shoulder from time to time.  His wings can be clipped, of course, but in my home, I only clip them moderately.  If I decide to do full-time RV'g, I would be sure there was a place in my rig for a reasonably sized cage for him, of course.  Has anyone ever traveled with a bird?  He may only be three ounces, but his personality is too charming for me not to take him with me if it's feasible and safe for him, precautions taken.  Any advice welcome.  Thanks! 

Attachments

• Lullabye&PJW_bellyrub_cropped.jpg
    Lullabye&PJW_bellyrub_cropped.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 22
30 years ago I traveled in my class C with my African Grey Parrot. I attached her cage to the dining room table with bungee cords. Worked just fine.

I still miss my cockatiel "Cleo"  :(

I don't see any issues other than birds being more sensitive to temperature swings

Does your Conure talk?

I had a Mynah bird that the previous owner had taught to wolf whistle. My neighbor had five daughters and I had show him it was the stupid Mynah bird whistling at them, not me!

We took our love bird Sunshine with us she was the only one of our pets that was excited to go! She would see her travel cage come out and was happy to climb in! Her cage sat between DH and myself and chirped away until we arrived at the camp and could set up the cage hanger. We also travel with our cats, which all get along with her.  Sadly we lost her this past winter, she was 19, and our first trip in the motorhome this year was somber. One of the cats jumped up on the bookcase when he always sat to watch her.....he was also very sad.

Attachments

• Sunny Camping.JPG
    Sunny Camping.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 10
Tioga George travels with a small bird.  He doesnt seem to have a "search" link on his website, but if you just look through his posts you will see his bird mentioned from time to time.

http://blog.vagabonders-supreme.net/

Thank you to everyone who responded about experiences traveling with a bird or other info related!  Much appreciated and helpful! 

The temperature inside a van being reasonable is what worries me.  I've never lived in a van, so though I would buy a really well insulated van, I'm not sure how hot it could get if I were not in the van...I'd like to get a van with solar power, not needing hookups much of the time, and I'd have to research, I guess, whether temperature could be controllable and safe when I'm not in the van, via remote?  Anyway, back to MORE RESEARCH! 

I have to ask those who have traveled with birds, how you handled the cooking fumes. I was told years ago that you shouldnt keep birds in your kitchen because the fumes from the cookware, such as teflon or aluminum or something, can be harmful to the birds. Was this ever an issue for yours, or did you have a fan going or something?

My wife has an Alexandrine parakeet.  We have been fulltiming for over three years with no problem.  We secure the cage to a large wood box which we use to store sewing things.  The bird usually rides on a swing when we are traveling.

My sister used to travel with her parrot, and once made the mistake of checking the box on the campground registration form that they had pet. Even though the bird would never have left the camper, the state park said only cats and dogs were allowed and they would have to leave.

HappyWanderer said:
Even though the bird would never have left the camper, the state park said only cats and dogs were allowed and they would have to leave.

Sheesh. Good thing they didn't have a goldfish, they probably would have been arrested on the spot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cakes09
Back
Top Bottom