How much soda/pop is too much

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NY_Dutch said:
How many water hoses pressurized to 45-50 PSI have you seen burst in the sun, Dave?

I think you misunderstood -  its not the water pressure from the water source, its the pressure that builds up while the hose is laying in the sun and the water gets very hot inside the hose. 

Just the other day i was lazy and left my hose laying out and forgot to relieve the pressure from the hose after turning off the water.  After all day in the sun the hose developed a bubble on the side of it due to the high pressure of hot water expanding in the hose. 

durangod said:
I think you misunderstood -  its not the water pressure from the water source, its the pressure that builds up while the hose is laying in the sun and the water gets very hot inside the hose. 

Just the other day i was lazy and left my hose laying out and forgot to relieve the pressure from the hose after turning off the water.  After all day in the sun the hose developed a bubble on the side of it due to the high pressure of hot water expanding in the hose.

With the hose connected to the RV and the CG spigot, and the CG spigot is open, it's impossible to build up pressure higher than what the CG pressure is. The pressure will just go into the CG system.
Now if you shut off the water supply to the hose and it's in the sun, it could over pressurize your RV so it must be left on all the time.

durangod said:

I must buy better quality hoses then. I've never seen that happen in over 70 years of using water hoses and leaving them laying in the sun under pressure. Nor have I ever seen someone else's hose burst from sun exposure unless it was previously damaged. As Rene said, the entire park system would have to pressurize.

NY_Dutch said:
I must buy better quality hoses then. I've never seen that happen in over 70 years of using water hoses and leaving them laying in the sun under pressure. Nor have I ever seen someone else's hose burst from sun exposure unless it was previously damaged. As Rene said, the entire park system would have to pressurize.

Dutch, he did say that the other say after shutting off the water, he didn't relieve the pressure so it would have built and possibly rupture the hose. I  can see that happening.

Rene T said:
Dutch, he did say that the other say after shutting off the water, he didn't relieve the pressure so it would have built and possibly rupture the hose. I  can see that happening.

Ahh... Yep, on a reread, I do see that. That's still a stretch unless the hose was already damaged in some way. The RV plumbing, including the compressible air pocket in the water heater, should more than absorb any pressure increase. At least until the boiling point is reached...  ;)

NY_Dutch said:
Ahh... Yep, on a reread, I do see that. That's still a stretch unless the hose was already damaged in some way. The RV plumbing, including the compressible air pocket in the water heater, should more than absorb any pressure increase. At least until the boiling point is reached...  ;)

Agree.

Ernie n Tara said:
I had a brand new hose burst as described just last week. It was 100 ft. long and 109 deg. F.

Ernie

I hope the hose was still in warranty, Ernie, since it likely was defective. Increasing water temperature by a factor of 3 will only about double the pressure in a completely filled closed system. Pressurizing a hose to 50 PSI with 60 degree water for example, and shutting off the faucet with the other end capped, the temperature would need to reach 180 degrees to raise the pressure to about 100 PSI. Even cheap vinyl garden hoses are typically rated for a 200 PSI burst pressure, and quality reinforced rubber garden hoses can go up to 500 PSI or so.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The stuff i read tends to tar all types of sodas with the same brush, and that is terribly inaccurate. 

On this I agree with you.  But. though there are a few formulas (Jones has one with real sugar. not HFCS or any artificial)  It is hard to find one that does not have "Bad Stuff" in it.

Coke Zero uses aspartame as the sweetener. That' the same ingredient as in NutraSweet and Equal. The FDA says that adults should not exceed 50 mg os aspartame per kilogram (2.2 lbs) of body weight.

In an earlier post I listed the ingredents.. right off Coke's web site.. I also identified BOTH artifical sweeteners in it. you missed one  Ace-K.

Very few, if any, sodas use JUST Aspartame. Most use both it and Ace-K.

So that throws the rest of your post off.

Ace-K and Aspartame are often used together to mask each other's aftertaste. The fact remains though, we would have to drink far more diet soda than is practical to have any concerns about the sweetener used in it.

Well it was a challenge but i left the grocery store yesterday with NO soda.  Instead i got some Arizona Zero Calorie Green Tea with Gingsing so we will see how that goes.  I try to limit myself to 2 glasses a day and the rest all water.  This stuff is kinda tart and im not a fan of tart but its better really cold.

I LOVE SODA.

However, at my heaviest I was dang near 380 lbs (I'm 6'6").

I'm currently bumping up against 300 lbs, and a HUGE part of that is giving up on soda in my day-to-day life. I'll still have one at bbq's and in camp, but otherwise I don't allow it.

The fact is, "real" soda is a huge number of calories, and diet soda really doesn't seem to be good for you.

When I do partake, it's "hecho en mexico" coke, which is made with real sugar... but that's because I like the taste. My biggest issue with that is the glass bottles are big, heavy, and glass, thus not ideal for RV travel.

Now if I could just get away from bourbon. :)

Gods Country said:
I almost never drink pop.  Once in a great while, when I'm out and about.  I never keep it at the house.

I mostly drink tap (well) water.  Some coffee in the morning.

Beer is another story. ;D

Have not had a soda since I tired it as a young child and did not like it.  I drink a lot of natural tap water from my well.  No chlorine, no fluoride but lots of iron.  Lots of ice tea (no sugar) and a whole lot of craft beer!

Back
Top Bottom