newbie concerned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salzak

I do not own the truck or camper I intend to pair.  I will be buying a 2018 or 2019 F350 XLT LB 4x4 super cab with camper package and 11,500# payload pkg, heavy duty 18-20" tires.  I am looking at a 2005 S&S Montana Avalanche 992.  It's listed dry weight is 3500# and wet 4000#.  I have no way of figuring the trucks capability (except of course looking at the Ford specs, which I have been told not to rely on).  This is a one of a kind camper around here.  Truck campers are VERY difficult to come by.  I am wanting to know if I am crazy to consider the purchase.  Please don't be brutal.  I really did try to do the math, but am missing way too many truck numbers.

You didn't mention whether you were Single Rear Wheel (SRW) or Dual Rear Wheels (DRW), which makes a big difference with truck campers.  The Duallies are usually MUCH more stable with a camper on back.

I think you are going to find that Ford's specs are a lot more reliable than the camper makers specs.  Those dry and wet weights they publish are for the base camper, without 'options' like a rooftop air conditioner and other things that you will probably have and that add weight.

You can find the Ford Towing Guide here:

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content/dam/brand_ford/en_us/brand/resources/general/pdf/guides/18RV&TT_Ford_SuperDtyPU_Nov27.pdf

It looks to me like around 3000 lbs is your maximum cargo capacity, and that includes your people, plus food, clothing, bedding, etc.  so a 3500 to 4000 lb camper is going to be way more than it was designed for.  You may need to be looking at an F450.

Go to Truck Camper Magazine and read a few of their beginner's articles.  Particularly the one on how to match a truck to a camper.

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/newbie-articles/

Since the OP mentioned the 11,500 GVW and 18-20" wheels, he is talking about an SRW.
The OP didn't mention gas or diesel, the gas engine will give you a little better payload.
The OP also said the wet weight was only 500lbs more than the dry weight.
Rule of thumb is to add 1000lbs over the dry weight.
A F-350 DRW super cab will give you plenty of payload for that camper, with plenty left over for towing a trailer.
While a F-450 has a tighter turning radius(than an F-350) and has a larger rear end, it is only available in a Crew cab, and the F-450 has a lower payload than a F-350 DRW.

I stand corrected.  I'm surprised to see that the F350 DRW and the F450 DRW (only way it comes, actually) have exactly the same GVWR of 14,000 lbs.  Makes me wonder what the point of the F450 is?

The 450 will tow more weight than a 350.The 450 also has 19" G rated rated tires that can carry much more weight, better brakes and a tighter turning radius.
The heavier tires and larger differentials weigh more, thus reduce payload.

I was remiss.  Gas, SRW.  The numbers for the camper are not actual (as I do not own it, I had to go with numbers given by manufacturer and confirmed by someone else who owned on-best I could do).  Do I have to go DRW?  Hubby is set on SRW.

Oh, and the camper numbers included a lot of extra "standards" that the builder opted to delete (ie. refrigerator drawer, 10 gallon swapped for 6 gallon water heater, AC unit).  Point is, I can only guess at those numbers as well.  The current owner has it on a Chevy 2500 (made my eyes get big, I can tell you, as my instincts said "not enough truck).  He said he could definitely tell that the camper was the biggest load he had ever had, and recommended a 350.

Depends on what mods was done to the 2500  rear suspension  to help carry the load.

Many truck camper owners with the 250/2500 or the 350/3500 SRW trucks with heavy loads go with 19.5" wheels and tires and upgrade the rear suspension with air bags or other type modifications. Your call on doing so.

The F350 SRW has a 7230 RAWR which will carry all the weight from the truck camper that size. These trucks rear axles can weigh in the 3300-3400 lb range leaving it with around 3500-3700 lb payload in the bed.
The F350 SRW simply doesn't have enough axle capacity (7230 RAWR) to carry that size truck camper.
      RAWR = tires/wheels and rear spring pack.

The 3500 DRW has those huge 9900 RAWR. The DRW trucks rear axle can weigh in the 3500-3600 lb range leaving  6000-6500 lb payload in the bed. Actual weight numbers depends on weighing the trucks front and rear axles separately.

Back
Top Bottom