Stubborn Lube Plate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Great Horned Owl

The lube plate for my 5th wheel hitch has been getting looser and looser over the years. I put up with the inconvenience of it falling off every time I unhitch, but it finally loosened to the point where it falls off before I can get hitched. I finally broke down and bought a new one.

The new one has almost exactly same inside diameter as the old one. The fingers are almost exactly the same dimensions. Never the less, the new plate didn't want to go on. The inside diameter of both plates is just a little bit smaller that the diameter of the king pin. On the old plate, the fingers would flex enough to allow it to slide over the king pin. The new plate is much thicker, and the fingers are too stiff to flex enough to go on.

After 15 minutes of struggle, I gave up. I threw the plate in the oven for 1/2 hour at 180?F. It still wasn't easy, but it did go on.

Joel

I had the same issue several years ago. I drilled and tapped 2 small holes in the pin box and installed flat head screws to hold it up in place. I believe they were 10-24 screws. One on each side of the pin. Had to countersink the lube plate so the screw heads would not interfere.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheriRv
Back
Top Bottom