Class B needs bodywork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

housedhs

I have a 2001 Kodiak VXL 2000, and it's been really good. I've been full time since May.

Boondocked in San Francisco about the last 8 weeks, and I've bumped it up a couple times in parallel parking situations, including today. I'm happy to post photos in this thread if it's helpful.

Today I asked a former RV repairman what he recommended and he definitely said to get it fixed. I have Geico insurance, and this is what it's for.

He then pointed out water damage I didn't realize, showing where the fiberglass exterior is starting to slightly bow out from the walls.

Repairs like this fall outside my experience; I've gotten some electrical work done and installed solar panels with a mobile repairman.

I do live out of the RV, but perhaps my insurance has an allowance for a hotel.

I'm really posting to ask for any suggestions? If anyone could recommend a body shop in Northern California that alone would be very useful.

Thanks!

Daniel

You stated a Class B, but the Kodiak is actually a Class C, meaning it has a custom body on a van cutaway cab & chassis.  I know the manufacturer calls it a B+, but that's just marketing-speak.  I bring this up because the body work on a "C" is a different proposition than on a "B", which has a standard van body shell (only the raised roof is different from a passenger van body) and can be repaired in most any body shop.

What you describe sounds like delamination of the side walls, probably due to water intrusion.  You need to get the leak(s) fixed first, and then the walls repaired. Just how serious the wall repair will take further investigation, but it's not something that you can just slap on some fiberglass putty, sand, and re-paint, which is what body shops do.  You need some RV structure expertise.  Hopefully somebody in northern CA can recommend a qualified shop (I'm in Florida, so haven''t a clue).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom