Autoformer versus Surge Protector

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dick Hooper

How many or any owners are using the Hughes Autoformer? Or a Surge Protector? We need to purchase a new one, ours is dead after 15 years. Necessity or  Not in your opinion?
I will say we are believers, as it was replaced by Autoformer after overheat in a park in NC. Saved our RV. As far as I know, the only product that boosts low power in RV park.

The Autoformer (boost transformer) can  keep you running when the voltage gets low, while the Surge/power monitor type devices simply protect you by shutting power off. Clearly, both serve a purpose so using both, or a combo unit, is the best of all worlds. Whether its worth the cost is something you have to determine for yourself.    I've not encountered low voltage issues often enough to worry about carrying an Autoformer with me, but I'll admit to thinking it would be nice on those rare occasions that it happens.

Perhaps in some regions or some camping styles, low voltage is encountered more often. That would change the decision  criteria, I think.

YOu know about Apples and Oranges right????

The Apples (Hughes Autoformer) works to boost LOW voltages. Oh it has SPIKE supression (MOV's) in it but those are .. just for spikes.. If the voltage goes too low even the Hughes unit can not boost enough. (Have seen 84 volts at the outlet (That box no longer exists by the way. All new wires in that section of that park).

THe Oranges (Surge protector) protects you if the voltage goes too low by cutting you off. if it goes too high by shutting you off and if you plug in to 240 volts with an adapter by mistake.

The Hughes makes a sound that reminds you of INdepencence day celebrations (Why do people have to blow stuff up to celebrate???)  The Surge Guard says "240 volts dummy.. Try again". or words to that effect.

John,
I'm actually not writing to you about this particular post but I read a post that you did on AC air conditioning leaks in the RV. If you could private message me or send me an email to message you I can explain a little bit better. your post seem to be the most knowledgeable of anyone on that thread hence me reaching out. Betina

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom