EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Replacing old AC Dometic duotherm  (Read 206 times)

JoshJasperson

Replacing old AC Dometic duotherm
« on: July 21, 2018, 08:31:15 PM »
I have a 94 cobra sandpiper. I'm replacing the original Dometic ac unit that is controlled by the trailer. The old unit had two sets of wires coming fro the unit. One for power(whit,black, and green) and a 10post (flat) probably for temp controls. The new unit only has one set coming off and a bundle of six wires. Do I have to cut and strip all the wires to get it to work. No instructions came with the unit and I can't find any correct info on line. Any help would be appreciated

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
Re: Replacing old AC Dometic duotherm
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 04:05:05 AM »
Welcome to the forum.
I would contact the manufacturer of the new unit and see if they can send you a wiring diagram on what wire goes where.
You said the old AC was controlled by the trailer. What do you mean by that?
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 06:03:15 AM »
I think he's saying the old unit was controlled by an external thermostat, and the new has a self contained t-stat? Not too clear to me either.
To the OP, on order to help us help you, can you post the make and model numbers of both the old and new units and possibly the make and model of the original thermostat?
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 07:37:02 AM »
I think he's saying the old unit was controlled by an external thermostat, and the new has a self contained t-stat? Not too clear to me either.
To the OP, on order to help us help you, can you post the make and model numbers of both the old and new units and possibly the make and model of the original thermostat?

I installed our 2nd AC and it was self contained. All I had to worry about was the 110 Volt AC wiring. Theirs may be different.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

docj

• ---
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 09:22:49 AM »
I've been researching this issue to plan for the eventual replacement of my old A/C's.

For most (all?) of its A/C product line Dometic makes two variants of each model.  One uses the MultiZone "Comfort Control Center" and one uses a more traditional single zone thermostat.  If you purchase the variant that takes the thermostat you can use the existing set of wires that runs from your existing thermostat to the A/C (you will need a new thermostat).  The color code on the wires won't be correct, but if you keep track of the colors it will work out OK. I know someone who just did this and it worked out fine.

OTOH if you purchased the variant that needs the Comfort Control Center in order to function, I don't have any suggestions.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 10:22:29 AM »
Installation and opeator manuals are available online for nearly every model RV a/c ever made.  Start with the Dometic website and search for your model, or just Google 'Dometic' plus the model number
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL