Replacing old AC ? Dometic duotherm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshJasperson

I have a 94 cobra sandpiper. I'm replacing the original Dometic ac unit that is controlled by the trailer. The old unit had two sets of wires coming fro the unit. One for power(whit,black, and green) and a 10post (flat) probably for temp controls. The new unit only has one set coming off and a bundle of six wires. Do I have to cut and strip all the wires to get it to work. No instructions came with the unit and I can't find any correct info on line. Any help would be appreciated

Welcome to the forum.
I would contact the manufacturer of the new unit and see if they can send you a wiring diagram on what wire goes where.
You said the old AC was controlled by the trailer. What do you mean by that?

I think he's saying the old unit was controlled by an external thermostat, and the new has a self contained t-stat? Not too clear to me either.
To the OP, on order to help us help you, can you post the make and model numbers of both the old and new units and possibly the make and model of the original thermostat?

kdbgoat said:
I think he's saying the old unit was controlled by an external thermostat, and the new has a self contained t-stat? Not too clear to me either.
To the OP, on order to help us help you, can you post the make and model numbers of both the old and new units and possibly the make and model of the original thermostat?

I installed our 2nd AC and it was self contained. All I had to worry about was the 110 Volt AC wiring. Theirs may be different.

I've been researching this issue to plan for the eventual replacement of my old A/C's.

For most (all?) of its A/C product line Dometic makes two variants of each model.  One uses the MultiZone "Comfort Control Center" and one uses a more traditional single zone thermostat.  If you purchase the variant that takes the thermostat you can use the existing set of wires that runs from your existing thermostat to the A/C (you will need a new thermostat).  The color code on the wires won't be correct, but if you keep track of the colors it will work out OK. I know someone who just did this and it worked out fine.

OTOH if you purchased the variant that needs the Comfort Control Center in order to function, I don't have any suggestions.

Installation and opeator manuals are available online for nearly every model RV a/c ever made.  Start with the Dometic website and search for your model, or just Google 'Dometic' plus the model number

Back
Top Bottom