2018 Ford Edge towed. Battery question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChasA

Hi folks. I just bought a 2018 Ford Edge for my new toad.  I have verified that it is 4-down towable. But... the instructions say to disconnect the battery. In searching this forum,  I found that Ford has been stating that requirement since 2015 . What I need to know is if those of you who tow an Edge have towed it without disconnecting the battery.  I have a Toad Charge that should keep the battery charged while towing. BUT I'm wondering if something other than the battery may be damaged by not disconnecting the battery.
I have a friend who tows 2016 Explorer and he hasn't been disconnecting his battery. The only problem he's had so far was a dead toad battery at the end of the day.
If you've towed an Edge, please  tell me what your experience has been.

I've got an 2018 explorer that I'm getting ready for towing.
I intend to follow the recommendation and disconnect the battery it shouldn't go dead then.
I'm worried that with all of the electronics powered it may cause transmission damage or to the 4 wd.

I was planning on using a 2015 Explorer for a toad. My research lead me into other years of Explorers as well. Many leave the battery hooked up, and add a charge line. The reason for disconnecting was so the battery didn't get discharged. On 2015's, which is the exact vehicle, there was no recommendation to unhook the battery. That changed for 2016.

Arch, they would have to have their own connections to the battery. It could get messy as there are already two cables connected to each end of the battery-- 2 pos and 2 neg.

Disconnecting the battery will create other problems . Such as losing many of the user's settings, inability to lock the doors, etc.
I have pretty much decided to leave the battery connected and see what happens.

On a long day...400 miles or so, I stop every couple hours and will occasionally start the engine on my toad to lubricate the transmission.

I wounder if you did that a time or two if it would recharge the battery enough to keep it from going dead.

ChasA - I am always looking for my next flat towable. I currently pull a 2014 Honda CR-V. While perusing the RV Forum, as I do on occasion, I came across your July post Re: 2018 Ford Edge. I downloaded the 2018 Edge owners manual and read that part of the set up for flat towing is to disconnect the black battery cable.  Doesn't disconnecting power to the car (i.e. power steering) lock up the steering wheel therefore making the Edge untowable? Do you have to reset the radio code each time you reconnect it? Does it affect the car theft system? Unfortunately, I have been unable to meet a 2018 Ford Edge owner, at a campground, to ask how they make out towing their Edge. By this time I  presume you have towed your Edge. Would you be kind enough to explain the set up procedure? Do you, in fact, disconnect the battery? Does it not affect the steering? Thank you.

- George Hawkins -

I have an explorer and it doesn't lock the steering.
The radio resets it's time to the GPS time and you need to select the station you want again presets are still there but the default is 600 am. 
Also it's necessary to lock the doors individually as they won't lock with the transmission in N and after the battery is disconnected to unlock you will need the "real" key.

George.  Yes i have towed the car now. The steering wheel doesn't lock because it has keyless ignition everything works as long as the key fob is inside the car in pocket or purse, etc. I haven't set any presets on the radio because I've been enjoying the free 6 months of Sirius XM radio. The only consequence of disconnecting the battery that I've noticed is that the check engine light comes on after going back to  normal driving. I found that that is normal for Ford products. The light goes out after a few starts and stops and after being driven 30 or so miles.
So far, i am happy with the car.

I think you can avoid the check engine light if you wait for the car computer to complete booting before pushing the start button maybe a minute or 2.
I got a misfire warning on mine due to this.

ChasA:  Ahhhhhh keyless ignition. THAT answers my question. My back up TOAD is a 2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid. It too has keyless ignition. But since I only drive IT when we get back to our home site (Florida) I don't think "keyless". Of course IT'S set up is simplicity itself.  "Dial" the transmission to N press L and away you go. No fuses to pull no batt to disconnect no mess no fuss...except...it's a sedan and we truly love driving an SUV. So the Edge is back at the top of my wait and see list (the Equinox is 2nd).

Thanks,

- George Hawkins -

George32955 said:
ChasA:  Ahhhhhh keyless ignition. THAT answers my question. My back up TOAD is a 2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid. It too has keyless ignition. But since I only drive IT when we get back to our home site (Florida) I don't think "keyless". Of course IT'S set up is simplicity itself.  "Dial" the transmission to N press L and away you go. No fuses to pull no batt to disconnect no mess no fuss...except...it's a sedan and we truly love driving an SUV. So the Edge is back at the top of my wait and see list (the Equinox is 2nd).

Thanks,

- George Hawkins -

I downloaded the 2019 Ford Towing & RV guide this week and the 2019 Edge is no longer on the 4 down towing list. 
Dick nvrver

I have a 2016 Edge and have towed it for several thousand miles. I set it up myself with the baseplate and all other stuff from Etrailer. No battery disconnect needed but I put in their tow-charge device that keeps the battery up while towing. There is a draw on the electrics when towing, so this keeps it full and only requires an extra pin on the plug for a charge line (I think I used a 7 pin plug). I use a Brake Buddy and none of the power outlets are hot when the ign is off, so I ran one more aux power outlet under the dash to plug in my BB. The tail lights are done with their kit and diodes. Easy to do but not much room behind the assy for the diode box, I had to cram it in below the light but it works fine. Putting in the baseplate was not bad, the whole front clip comes off and their directions are pretty easy to follow. All in all it took me a couple of days, off and on to do it but I know the savings were at least 2k. The car tows well other than being a bit heavy but the size and comfort it worth it, I really love driving it otherwise. I think , as posted, that the 2019 is not towable, maybe they changed the trans.

nvrver said:
I downloaded the 2019 Ford Towing & RV guide this week and the 2019 Edge is no longer on the 4 down towing list. 
Dick nvrver

The turbo six 2019 Edge ST is flat towable; all other models use 4 cylinders and are not flat towable. This information is from the owner?s manual.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom