Yosemite to Las Vegas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsetti

We have a 45' motor home. What's the best way to go from Yosemite to Las Vegas? We also tow a pick up but can drive separately when necessary.  CA has 45' length restrictions in some areas.

That depends on which side of Yosemite. We have only traveled the east side. 395 and 95 are both good roads. They are 2 lane some 4 lane. Good roads though. Have not traveled the west side. Sorry

jsetti said:
We have a 45' motor home. What's the best way to go from Yosemite to Las Vegas? We also tow a pick up but can drive separately when necessary.  CA has 45' length restrictions in some areas.

With a 45' MH and a Toad ?... 99 South to Bakersfield, then 58 east to Barstow, then I-15 North to Las Vegas.

Big Joe has it right.  There's no way for a 45 ft. motorhome (or a 40 ft. for that matter) to safely traverse the Sierra Nevadas between US 50 at South Lake Tahoe and the southern edge of the range at Bakersfield.

I'd come out of Yosemite on 41 to hit 99. Then as Big Joe recommends. We've been that route many times.

Are you planning on stopping somewhere in between?

99 South to Bakersfield, then 58 east to Barstow, then I-15 North to Las Vegas.

Definitely!  Between Bakersfield and Barstow you go over the Tehachapi Mountains but that's nothing when compared with the eastern Sierra Range.  It's a divided highway all the way and trucks use it.  Near Tehachapi is the Tehachapi Loop where the trains make a circle over themselves.  It's kind of fun to see.  The railroad there is the lowest southern east-west route across the mountains and it's heavily traveled so you don't usually have to wait very long for the next train to come along.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom