1978 tradesman camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike Gordon

hello,
I just bought my first rv and this is the first forum I have ever joined and this is the first message I have ever posted on a forum. So I will apologize if I'm in the wrong place . I need all the help I can get.
I just bought a 1978 tradesman camper from someone who never used any of the facililities in the rv. she gave  me a manual about the mechanics of the van but I have no idea how the camper functions work, eg. batteries for
fridge , water pump,toilet, stove etc. So what I need is a manual on all these things or some information how I would go about getting this information . If anyone can refer me to any manual that deals with ,for example ,how the batteries are connected to the pump for the water ,how the hot water heater works etc.
I think I've outlined the problem . If someone can direct me to such a manual or can put such a manual together I will be happy to pay them for the effort.
thanks and many apologies If I'm in the wrong place
Mike Gordon

welcome to the forum. google will be your friend, google each manufacturer and check their downloads for the item you have.
on a unit that old some will not be available but the principal will be the same as some of the older manuals, the big difference is everything is digital now versus analog. if you have specific questions i am sure somebody on here will share their vast knowledge. 

Welcome to the Forum!

The manual you requested does not exist.  If you want to learn about toilets, search "Toilet" in the search  here on the forum, and read all you want.  If you have specific questions, ask.  We are here to help.

Also, look at the library.  It has many very helpful articles.

Start with the Newcomers section in the RVForum Library (button om menu bar near top of this page). 

There are some books available online, something along the lines of RVing for Dummies. YouTube has many videos as well.

I'm not sure what equipment a Dodge Sportsman may have - it's may be fairly simplistic due to size and weight considerations. Presumably a fresh water tank and a pump, which is probably operated by 12v (aka battery) power.  Another tank to hold waste water from the sink drain. Some way to fill and empty those tanks externally.  The toilet may have its own self-contained water and waste container (called a cassette toilet), or it may be connected to the main fresh water tank and have a separate waste tank in the RV (called a "black" water tank). The lighting in the Sportaman will be 12v battery powered as well.  There may be an external power cord to enable plugging into a 120v outlet at campsite or home. If so, there is probably an onboard battery charger and a couple 120v outlets.  You may have onboard propane tanks as well, and propane can heat the stove, power a furnace, and heat water.

If you could identify the types of applainces you have, preferably by make and model, we can probably help with operational questions and maybe point you to online sources for the appliance manuals. Here's one source: http://bryantrv.com/docs.html

Gary
Thanks for the info. I will get back to you as I explore the leads you provided
Mike

rv'ers
Thanks for your help. This is my second post and I'm not sure I'm in the right place, but I will continue on with my
questions concerning my 1978 tradesman camper and hope all goes well. This is my second attempt,since the last message disappeared ,so I hope I haven't posted two copies. At present my concern is to deal with some mechanical issues and my question is whether I'm better off visiting a dodge repair shop that specialized in dodge vehicles or  to visit a repair shop that deals with rv's \I read a post on youtube that said that repair shops charge more to repair rv's . I'm not interested at present with dealing with the camper equipment but just the vehicle
mechanicals. what is my best bet? who would do a better job on the vehicle?
Thanks for you help
Mike

First, you didn't double post, and if you do, it happens so don't sweat it.  :)

For drivetrain and chassis work, you'll need to visit a mechanic/Dodge shop.  The RV dealers only work on the camper stuff, not the powertrain.  You don't want them messing around with engine or suspension, even if they wanted to.

JP and karen, Thanks a lot. That exactly what I wanted to know. As a newbie I wasn't  competent to browse
efficiently through all the posts looking for the topic. Youve saved me a  lot  of frustration.
Thanks again
Mike

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom