TV reception.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sueh

Hello,

My RV is parked at a permanent site. So, I was wondering why one day my channels are a mess and the next day I get great reception, then back to poor reception again in the evening? Just wondering!

Thanks, Sue

I had a similar question recently.  One cause is atmospheric changes, which we do not control, but can play havoc with TV signals.  Another may be faulty coax connectors, generally on the antenna.  Over time, they get corroded, accentuating the atmospheric stuff.

I know it is frustrating, even if you know what is causing it.

Some stations change their output power day and "night" 
The Sun is in a different part of the SKY.

Sun Spots. Noise from many electronic devices in your and other RV's. ANd more

As a Ham Radio Operator it can be fun. Some bands are better in the morning Some noon, Some after noon Some evening Some at night.. But you do not have multiple bands like we do Just VHF/UHF. and not all that much VHF.

John From Detroit said:
TV stations do not change their power. This was common with AM radio.

Make sure your antenna is pointed the right direction. If you have a Winegard Sensar (Batwing), the arms should be perpendicular to the TV transmitter site (See attachment). Also the pointer on the inside knob does not point toward the front of the antenna. This is used for stowing the antenna and is 90 degrees from the front. Sometimes it helps to lower the antenna somewhat. Here's a couple of web sites to help locate transmitter locations:

https://www.antennasdirect.com/transmitter-locator.html
https://otadtv.com/tvtower/index.html

Attachments

• Batwing.jpg
    Batwing.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 26
There is a great app for iPhone/iPad called "TV Towers". Select the "compass" function and tun the phone until stations show up. Then just point your antenna accordingly. Easy peasy. There may be a similar app in the Google store.

John From Detroit said:

As a Ham Radio Operator it can be fun. Some bands are better in the morning Some noon, Some after noon Some evening Some at night.. But you do not have multiple bands like we do Just VHF/UHF. and not all that much VHF.
Sunspots have no effect whatsoever on UHF, and rarely anywhere on VHF. However weather inversions have a major effect on both

John From Detroit said:

And I always thought it was due to the Government spying on us at different times. :eek:

spencerpj said:
And I always thought it was due to the Government spying on us at different times. :eek:

Well.... Let's just say I will choose not to argue with that :).  Or otherwise comment except to say the Government is supposed to have a truck (At least one) that can "Eavesdrop" on what you are watching..  I do know how it it supposed to work, What I don't know is IF it works or exists. (Very old news by the way).

U.S. Navy Base in Sugar Grove WV. Don't know if it's still going or not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom